What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It turned out really well! We had tuna steak. I seared it in a smoking hot carbon-steel pan, about 1.5 minutes/side. Came out with a nice crust, but totally pink on the inside. This was served with salmoriglio sauce, which is a Sicilian condiment for grilled seafood. My version was a simple salt, lemon, fresh marjoram, and olive oil concoction.

Sides were mashed potatotes+cauliflower: simmer them both for 15', then blend with fresh thyme, garlic powder, cream, and butter. And finally, mustard greens with onions and garlic, sauteed in bacon grease, then braised with chicken stock and wine. It was all very, very tasty! :D

It turned out really well! We had tuna steak. I seared it in a smoking hot carbon-steel pan, about 1.5 minutes/side. Came out with a nice crust, but totally pink on the inside. This was served with salmoriglio sauce, which is a Sicilian condiment for grilled seafood. My version was a simple salt, lemon, fresh marjoram, and olive oil concoction.

Sides were mashed potatotes+cauliflower: simmer them both for 15', then blend with fresh thyme, garlic powder, cream, and butter. And finally, mustard greens with onions and garlic, sauteed in bacon grease, then braised with chicken stock and wine. It was all very, very tasty! :D
I've said this one other time, and I believe it was to Mike ( @ibglowin ), I would be willing to become your house pet if you'd feed me some of what you are eating and drinking. And as a bonus I am house broken and won't doodle on the carpets or furniture. I don't think he took me up on it because his pets are better looking than I am.

Day in and day out you make (and I assume eat) a really nice variety of foods.

I've said this one other time, and I believe it was to Mike ( @ibglowin ), I would be willing to become your house pet if you'd feed me some of what you are eating and drinking. And as a bonus I am house broken and won't doodle on the carpets or furniture. I don't think he took me up on it because his pets are better looking than I am.

Awww, pshaw. That's very kind of you, Craig. I agree with you that some tasty-looking meals get served up at Mike's, too. But what I think we should really aspire to is to set up camp in @GreginND 's house to enjoy his delicious fare, but one of us should man the barbecue grill in the yard and pass steaks in to the other as a "protein supplement." :D

For what it's worth, I would happily take your cooking, without even making you cook a 5th different meal just for me. ;)

Had smoke cooked a fajita seasoned boneless chicken breast on Sunday for my Wife's salads plus a few more figuring we'd use it on Tuesday or Thursday for a quick start to a meal. Had it tonight. Some had wraps, some quesadillas, me a batch of nachos. Very satisfying yet a bit spicier than I was expecting. Had to go up and get a few extra paper towels to swab my forehead as I ate them. Would be really good with a cold, crisp, hoppy brew, maybe next week. Served with a brisk, cold, crisp cup of did I say cold tea :(

4-4-17_fajita-nachos.jpg

Extra points for using Blue Corn tortilla chips.

Those can be traced right here to Nuevo Mexico! :sm

Had smoke cooked a fajita seasoned boneless chicken breast on Sunday for my Wife's salads plus a few more figuring we'd use it on Tuesday or Thursday for a quick start to a meal. Had it tonight. Some had wraps, some quesadillas, me a batch of nachos. Very satisfying yet a bit spicier than I was expecting. Had to go up and get a few extra paper towels to swab my forehead as I ate them. Would be really good with a cold, crisp, hoppy brew, maybe next week. Served with a brisk, cold, crisp cup of did I say cold tea :(

If you like hot stuff try a bottle of gibs hellbanero sauce. Great heat and better flavor

Well, I am sometimes just a schlub. Worked a bit late, and then we had to go vote. So, we threw in the towel and had an Italian hoagie (not that they call it that here) from a local sandwich shop. So much for my reputation! :slp

Well, I am sometimes just a schlub. Worked a bit late, and then we had to go vote. So, we threw in the towel and had an Italian hoagie (not that they call it that here) from a local sandwich shop. So much for my reputation! :slp

Everyone deserves a night off once in a while. ;)

Now get to planning and make sure you have us drooling again tomorrow! :)

Today it was supposed to start raining, thankfully it never did. My wife and I picked up a quarter side of beef and hadn't had a chance to sample any of it. Today I cooked two porterhouse steaks and some hamburgers. This is from a small family owned farm that raises beef the old gained way, no antibiotics, grass eating. These are absolutely melt in your mouth. Paired it with a very nice Old vine Zinfandel. I can't wait to cook more of these.

Everyone deserves a night off once in a while. ;)

Now get to planning and make sure you have us drooling again tomorrow! :)

And so right you are! We are having a beautiful woman who fancies my cooking and her dog over for dinner tomorrow. I always want to outdo myself for these guests. :w :try

Honestly guys,

Some of the dishes you post look incredible! A lot of the photos look like they came straight out of a foodie magazine. I con almost smell some of the dishes you post!

Most of the photos I post look like prison food by comparison.
Perhaps I should invest in some steel trays?

I would like to get a better phone, one that takes better pictures, but SWMBO does not want me to spend the extra money.

Didn't Mrs JohnT buy you your current POS phone? :)

wa7ix.jpg

54337924.jpg

I would like to get a better phone, one that takes better pictures, but SWMBO does not want me to spend the extra money.

Last edited:
And so right you are! We are having a beautiful woman who fancies my cooking and her dog over for dinner tomorrow. I always want to outdo myself for these guests. :w :try

I bet the dog likes your food too, lucky dog!

Paul, no issue with a few nights off, you don't see us all posting a meal everyday of the week. Most of my food is family friendly, just wish the kids went to the neighbors every now and then so I could experiment more. For example, today we are doing a beef stew in the crock pot, diced potatoes, carrots, celery, turnip and a can of crushed tomatoes. I can't used diced tomatoes or my youngest son will pick them out, so crushed it is. If I put both the turnips and potatoes in, no one complains, if just the turnips my daughters and wife will pick them out. You get the general idea...

That Italian, not really called Italian, sub sounds fine to me!

I bet the dog likes your food too, lucky dog!
Most of my food is family friendly, just wish the kids went to the neighbors every now and then so I could experiment more. For example, today we are doing a beef stew in the crock pot, diced potatoes, carrots, celery, turnip and a can of crushed tomatoes. I can't used diced tomatoes or my youngest son will pick them out, so crushed it is. If I put both the turnips and potatoes in, no one complains, if just the turnips my daughters and wife will pick them out. You get the general idea...

My father was NUTS on cleaning your plate. When he was growing up in end of WWII Hungary, no one had enough to eat. Dad had had to steal planted seed potatoes from neighboring farms just to survive.

So, it did not matter to him if the kids liked dinner or not. One had to be grateful for what on had on his plate (or a spanking would be used to quickly change your mind).

I have been noticing that parents today no longer say "you are not leaving this table until you have finished your vegetables". I am not sure why this is no longer important to parents.

I say, cook what YOU want. If they pick some stuff out, so be it.

Last edited:
I complained about the photos. I hinted at getting a new phone.

For x-mas, what does she do?? She found a digital camera on sale for $20. When I unwrapped it, she said that I now can take better pictures and can keep my old phone...

I just roll my eyes and look to heaven for strength!

What's that saying? Happy wife, happy life? (I'm a wife so be careful:ft :h)

Hubby was away, so I got some takeout gyro and had a glass of a kit Merlot I made last year. No pretty presentation just opened the containers and enjoyed.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back