What would a "Red Neck" do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Tales of Grass-Roots Innovation...

So, yesterday, a friend of mine showed up at my front door with a smile...and 35 pounds of blackberries in one gallon Zip-Lock baggies. He asked me if I could make some wine out of them. I said, "Of course, but I don't have a crusher." He asked if I wanted them anyway. Naturally, I said yes.

Now, part of being a firefighter---and a country "red-neck"---is being creative in problem solving. I knew I needed to crush or juice them, and get them (and hopefully the pulp) into a fermenter for the making of the wine. To that end, I pulled out a big heavy-duty contractor trash bag and put it into my 32 gallon fermenter (aka, Rough Neck Trash Can). I dumped all the berries in there, forced out all the air, and secured the top of the bag with a big cable tie. I then proceeded to stomp on the bag of berries in the bottom of the trash can. <My wife said later that we should have taken pictures>

Once the berries seemed adequately squashed, I removed the bag and took it to the tub in our guest bathroom. From the Lab, I grabbed a fermentation bucket, several nylon mesh fruit bags, and a pair of scissors. My wife sat on the side of the tub, straddling the bucket, holding one of the mesh bags inside. I held the 35 pound bulging trash bag above the mesh bag and carefully snipped the bottom corned off the trash bag, allowing the juice and pulp to slowly flow out. We successfully captured the pulp and seeds in two mesh bags, and collected the juice in the bucket. We struggled a bit, but it worked perfectly!

In the end, I had nearly five gallons of juice and pulp. I tied the mesh bags closed and added them to the juice. A small amount of water (to bring it up to six gallons), a little sugar (to bring the SG up to 1.080), some sulphite, energizer, nutrient, pectic enzyme, and tannin and---BLAM!---I had a tasty-looking batch of blackberry wine on the make in no time flat! This morning, I added the 71B-1122 yeast, and---using my normal method of wine making---I'll squeeze the bags daily to release the remaining goodness from the pulp and flavor from the skins.

I'll share the batch with my good friend, but I get to have all the fun making it. What an unexpected bounty!

:br

in the words of tess....no pics, it didnt happen..
dave you are an innovator for sure....
hope it is as good are better then all my blackberry...

First off, Dave, Let me say one thing...

Firefigher = Hero..

Glad to see you found a good solution. Seems to me that you even amazed yourself.

hope it turns out well.

johnT.

They'd shoot it.

I'm sorry, I should have read past the title. :D

(take no offense, I've got quite a hue under my head myself)

I used to make a LOT of fruit wines and we wore out more than one blender. Ideal? No, in retrospect. But it worked just fine at the time.

You crushed some berries up in a bag and think that is unique? Not even redneck, where is the duct tape :):) DD, you can make a simple fruit press with a couple of buckets and a car jack, and a little bit of duct tape! WVMJ

Where I come from (Alabama), we would have done basically what you did-but we would have had the kids do the mashin up for us. Too much like work! :h Hope that turns out really good!
Please let me know. My neighbor has a whole bunch in his freezer he is wanting to donate to the cause.

in the words of tess....no pics, it didnt happen..
dave you are an innovator for sure....
hope it is as good are better then all my blackberry...

:) James I was not that hard on you ;) Good going in the blackberry's Dave.. Are you going to at last give the guy a couple bottles I hope. I love blackberry's but I hate picking them

I dont like picking them either, cause its always hot...
Next year....I will fill a 5 gallon cooler with ice and dragon blood for all those that come to help...

Innovative! We used a doubled over cheesecloth and a stock pot with a steamer insert just last night to press, because we were lazy and didn't want to rent an actual press. The crap part? It took more work, of course! Oh well. So much for being lazy. :p But, awesome job on your part! I'm glad to hear it turned out. :D

I dont like picking them either, cause its always hot...
Next year....I will fill a 5 gallon cooler with ice and dragon blood for all those that come to help...

Do not tempt me like that!

midnightsolace said:
Innovative! We used a doubled over cheesecloth and a stock pot with a steamer insert just last night to press, because we were lazy and didn't want to rent an actual press. The crap part? It took more work, of course! Oh well. So much for being lazy. :p But, awesome job on your part! I'm glad to hear it turned out. :D

Do not tempt me like that!

I heard "compactor bag" and thought you were actually going to use the compactor to crush the berries. That's what a true redneck would do.Mike

I was hoping to hear some other tales of cellar innovation. Anyone else do anything on the fly, with resources at ahnd, that could help out others in a bind?

I still love the idea of using a mop bucket for a press. I'm really tempted to try it with some grapes this fall.

Yes, those are my pics of the mop bucket. Not my idea as I read about it somewhere else. It does work ok. Make sure you do not overload the wringer. It is hard to wring it when full. The grapes just push up and out the top.

An interesting innovation would be to get the non food grade plastic taste out? 2 simple food grade plastic 5 gallon buckets, one with holes, one with no holes, a few pieces of 2x4 and a straining bag, that is innovation. A lot of people freeze their fruit first and then will just crush their blackberries with a magnum bottle, or even just squish with their hands. Add pectinases overnight and then scoop the berries into a fermentation bag and hand squeeze the juice out. 35 pounds of berries isnt a lot to process at once and after the berries have macerated overnight you dont even need to king kong them to squeeze out the juice. 35 pounds of blackberries makes like 350 gallons of DB? Better start cleaning some more bottles :) WVMJ

I'm really leaning toward the mop bucket myself. What a great idea! Thanks for the tips, Greg.

Latest posts

Back