What wines can I find that might have Brettanomyces?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings!
I am a brewer, I actually frequent the sister page of this one, homebrewtalk.com. I like brewing with Brettanomyces yeasts, and I'd like to catch a variety for my brewing. I also understand that some wineries and wine traditions let natural wild yeasts do their thing, and that some wine styles are left unfiltered as a matter of course. I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of some wines that might possibly have Brettanomyces yeasts sitting at the bottom. I know that there is a European tradition of natural wine, but I just don't know where to start to look for them. I would really appreciate any suggestions from y'all. Thanks!

If you make wine, you do all you can to prevent Brettanomyces. It is considered an infection and is especially bad when it gets into wood and barrels because you can't get rid of it. A Brett infection generally ruins wine as it gives the wine a manure smell and very off flavors. If you make wine, forget the brett and concentrate on different strains of yeast. Nothing really wrong with the right wild yeast, but unless you have an historic winemaking region, wild yeast is hit or miss.

I'll have to admit the "Brett wine" is more acceptable in Europe than here in the states. They look at it in the same lines a stinky cheese. Have you tried doing a search on Wine Spectators site. My guess is, they would have some insight. I have had it before and while I can't say it is something I search out, it wasn't all that bad either. but it DID SMELL :slp

Latest posts

Back