What went wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bgoodwine, since you tasted the wine initially and had no problems, a strawberry allergy appears unlikely. Also, there is nothing in the recipe that I haven't used at least a few dozen times.

Since the reaction occurred after the addition of sulfite and sorbate, those appear to be the likely candidates.

The safest thing to do is to get tested for sorbate and sulfite allergy and/or sensitivity. If you have asthma, your chances of being sensitive to either are supposedly higher.

Research sorbate and sulfite sensitivity, looking for a description of symptoms. I found quite a few sites, too many to list, and your symptoms did not appear. Run your own search and read what different sites say, remembering to be cautious about believing any one site.

Another test is to stir the wine well in a well ventilated area, using a fan to blow any fumes away. If SO2 gas is a problem, that should dissipate most of it. Then get someone else to taste it.

Nope, I'm not being funny. There's nothing in that recipe that is dangerous, and if the wine smells and tastes good, it's almost certainly fine. I don't know of anything that can go wrong with wine where your nose won't tell you there is a problem.

If you're going to be brave and taste it again after that, sniff it first. If the problem is gaseous, you'll probably get a reaction.

I run a fan whenever working with wine, as SO2 fumes make me gag. If the outside temperature allows, I open windows.

Given that sulfite and sorbate are in so many foods, my best guess is you overdosed the wine with sulfite or sorbate. Given that Campdens are hard to goof with, sorbate seems to be a more likely candidate. Keep in mind that this is a (hopefully) educated guess from a guy on the other side of the keyboard.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. So I got my wife to give it a try and low and behold no bad reaction. So there must be something in there that seems to affect me which sucks because I did all the work. Lol. Oh well maybe I’ll look into getting some tests done to see what may be causing my reaction.

but Bgood, ,,,, isn’t the joy of wine to share?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. So I got my wife to give it a try and low and behold no bad reaction. So there must be something in there that seems to affect me which sucks because I did all the work. Lol. Oh well maybe I’ll look into getting some tests done to see what may be causing my reaction.
* if commercial wine does not do nasty stuff the odds are that sorbate is the issue, commercial wines run a 0.45 microbiological filter and don’t use sorbate. Commercial wine will have free SO2 but will test enough to keep it below 50 ppm.
* a dry wine will not referment so you can skip the sorbate if you stay dry.
* sangria is a sweet wine where you add the sugar as you drink it again would skip the sorbate
* my approach is age a year so the yeast are starved and then back sweeten

in the 1920s the FDA ran a poison squad with young recruits to taste clean ingredients/ process chemicals and look for your reaction. ,,,,

Back