what type of bottles are ok to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread, I know. I just had to weigh in. I use any pry-off bottle I can get my hands on. 22oz bottles are like gold!

I have used budweiser twist-off bottles just to see if I could. I had no problems with them at all. Just don't tell my wife....(if I need "pry-off", then i need to by better beer...ssshhhh.)

mattsbrewery said:
Old thread, I know. I just had to weigh in...

I've been making wine for years, butplanning to add beer brewing within next couple of weeks(retired now, so I've got more time for the important things in life), and just want to revisit this topic.

I'll stick to pry-off brown bottles, already accumulated several dozen -- mostly MichelobAmber Bock, Heinekenand a local brew called SouthernPecan Ale(excellent brew!).

Are there any brands which I should specifically not use?

Mostly I keg beer.I find it's a quicker process to empty bottles than fill them.But on one occasion I wanted to bottle some to take to family and didnt want to put much effort into it. So I washed up some twistoffs and the caps that came with them.After filling and priming I simply twisted on the caps and mind you it was just a 12 pack but it worked fine for me.

Next time you buy beer, get some twist tops and some pry tops (or you can just look at them in the pretty display cases at your local store). Before opening them up, look at the dimples in the bottle cap. If they are linear, they are pry top, if you notice them to have a repeating staircase pattern they are twist top.

Personally, if I bottle (which I seldom do) I use the swingtop grolsch type bottles. Works great.

Kegging is certainly the way to go after you tire of washing bottles over and over again.

Latest posts

Back