What to do with this little guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikez104

Reaction score
So I racked my first batch of wine tonight. Many thanks go to fellow Pittsburgher djrockinsteve for all of his help and advice! I filled the 5 gallon carboy and had some left but not enough to fill this 1 gallon jug. I really dont have any other bottles to put this in. Do I top it off with water or will that make it way too watery or just leave it as is?

8NTQUj

The pic did not work in the preview so I included the link.
http://flic.kr/p/8NTQUj

Water will just dilute it too much. It looks like it's still fermenting so it'll be ok for a little bit, then maybe when you rack again you can use it to top up.

If it is fermenting you are alright - if it is - go buy some wine in a 1.5L - drink it up and use it to rack when fermentation is complete.

It was at .99 on the hydrometer. How long will it go? I figured it was done. I added 1/4 tsp of pot meta sulphite to the main batch and just a touch to this jug.

It was at .99 on the hydrometer. How long will it go? I figured it was done. I added 1/4 tsp of pot meta sulphite to the main batch and just a touch to this jug.

check the SG for 3 days - if it is the same - it is done.

Yeah - you can buy #2 drilled stoppers - that will fit an airlock an fit in the neck of a wine bottle.

Me and the wife will enjoy some bottles of wine this weekend then I'll rack to those bottles and get some more airlocks. Crap, I thought I was done at the store for a while.

SG should be quoted as three decimal plaes for exactly this question. If it's .990 or .992, you're done. If it's .999 then there's probably still some fermenting to do.

The K-meta you added will shock/stun the yeast and slow it down or stop it temporarily. If your sg is .995 or above you should wait a week or so to allow the yeast to recover from the K-meta and fnish fermenting.

Steve

SG should be quoted as three decimal plaes for exactly this question. If it's .990 or .992, you're done. If it's .999 then there's probably still some fermenting to do.

The K-meta you added will shock/stun the yeast and slow it down or stop it temporarily. If your sg is .995 or above you should wait a week or so to allow the yeast to recover from the K-meta and fnish fermenting.

Steve

So in a nutshell, I Jumped the gun a bit. I can play with the 1 gallon bottle but it's the 5 gallon carboy I'm concerned about. It is filled up close to the top. I guess I will just let it go and it will do what it needs to do. Right? I can rack it again in 4 or 5 weeks?

I think the bubbles is from when he racked it possibly

Water will just dilute it too much. It looks like it's still fermenting so it'll be ok for a little bit, then maybe when you rack again you can use it to top up.

That picture was taken only a few minutes after racking so maybe your right. I'll take the sg readings over the next few days and see if there is any change.

Me and the wife will enjoy some bottles of wine this weekend then I'll rack to those bottles and get some more airlocks. Crap, I thought I was done at the store for a while.

I have found that this is one obsession that never lets you get done with the store! Every time I turn around I have to buy something else.

I have found that this is one obsession that never lets you get done with the store! Every time I turn around I have to buy something else.

Yup, I stopped by on my lunch break and picked up some more airlocks and stoppers today. :))

Seriously we should all get together and buy a pallet of these things and get it over with. We all know we eventually are going to have a hundred carboys by the time this is all over.

LOL. Yeah, really! I was kind of surprised though, South Hills Brewing has pretty decent pricing. Supplies are as cheap or cheaper than online although I have not done extensive searching. I think I've been there at least 5 time over the last 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back