What to do with these beautiful mangoes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So I picked up 2 small crates of mangoes from Sam's Club, they were perfectly ripe, ended up with about 8 pounds of meat from them. I thought of making a small batch with them (will probably do a gallon or so). It seems like they would have a little bit of a weak flavor since they aren't always a very strongly flavored fruit (these are though, and very sweet). Have people made this before? Have they blended with other fruits? I was thinking of strawberry.

If I were you I would mix them with about 10lbs of peaches and make a three gallon batch. If you have some strawberries throw a couple pounds of them in as well. My wife loves peach/mango wine, I have never put strawberries in it before but it sure sounds good.

I made a mead with mangos once that turned out delicious. I called it Mangomel.

I made a mead with mangos once that turned out delicious. I called it Mangomel.

Love it! I'm on a mead kick lately. I have about 20 or so gallon jugs lying around, so I've been doing a "Mead of the Month".............Mangomel just sounds interesting!

If I were you I would mix them with about 10lbs of peaches and make a three gallon batch. If you have some strawberries throw a couple pounds of them in as well. My wife loves peach/mango wine, I have never put strawberries in it before but it sure sounds good.

I love the idea of the peaches too.......maybe if they still have them I'll pick more up and do both!

Sarah, living on Costa Rica we get mangoes all year long but in June/July they get darn cheap - 6 1/2 # for about $2.00. I use 20# of skinned, deseeded mangoes to make 5 gallons. After backsweetning and aging 6 months the results are like a sweet reisling.

Mike

Sarah, living on Costa Rica we get mangoes all year long but in June/July they get darn cheap - 6 1/2 # for about $2.00. I use 20# of skinned, deseeded mangoes to make 5 gallons. After backsweetning and aging 6 months the results are like a sweet reisling.

Mike

I'm jealous! I love them, especially when really ripe, I just hope they retain some of that flavor after fermentation. If I do a straight mango, It'll probably be about a gallon or gallon and a half. I'll probably try and buy some more next week if I can. I wish I could get them that cheap!

I love them cut up in a fresh salad with grilled Salmon and a coconut curry dressing. Perfect with a nice Chardonnay wine!

Latest posts

Back