Mosti Mondiale What size micron filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I am going to filter and bottle MM Outback Chardonnay. I performed battonage with D47 yeast and it has bulk aged for 8 months.

What micron size is recommended for a whole house filter/vacuum pump setup?

Thanks!

Depends on what you are doing.

Removing yeast - I would go with at most a .45 Absolute - I would actually go .35 or .20 Absolute.

If you are just adding a finished polish to the wine - a .50 nominal would be fine...

I just want to polish the wine.

Since the filters come sealed in the package, do they need to have sulfite run through them? If so, should I run sterilized water through again or is that overkill?

Thanks!

Dan - how much SO2 will that impart??

Once bottled - does the SO2 take a while to dissolve out??

Thanks. I was concerned about 'oversulfiting' the first few bottles, but like the technique of pouring the 1st few bottles back.

Most of us use a 1 micron on Whites and a 5 micron on Reds. I do the same as Dan mentioned. This will give you about a 10ppm bump in free SO2 levels across the board so beware and plan accordingly.

I use .45 micron filters on ALL wines. I have never had a problem with over sulfiting. First off all my wines are usually under 30ppm. You lose about 20% through the filtration bottling process when doing it all at once.

I received the filter housing and filters from filterfast.com after only 2 days from placing order. I ordered what allinonewinepump recoomended. Even with shipping, it was much cheaper than what I would have bought at Ace, Wal Mart or Home Depot

Latest posts

Back