What size carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
Since I just started I have been making 1 gallon at a time.
4 or 5 bottles seemed like enough at a time of different flavors. The problem is the first batch of apple turned out good and my wife gave it all away. Good news is everyone liked it bad news I am out aready. I also have two more batches of different kinds bulk aging. I can already see my wife giving it way.
So now should I buy a 3,5 or 6 gallon carboy and primary bucket?

I would get a primary bucket for sure. Are you ever going to do kits? If you are you need six gallon carboys, if not five gallon will be ok.

you need to go out and buy 3, 5 AND 6 gallon carboys. Believe me you will use them all.

You gals are so bad BUT right on. You also need 1/2 and 1 gallon jugs in case you need to rack down We can explain that later when you're ready.

Along with what the ladies said, start collecting now even though you don't need them yet. When it comes harvest time, I guarantee you'll wish you had more carboys. Your skills will be enhanced by then and your wifes demands for more flavors and wines will increase!

I have three 1 Gallon and one 1/2 gallon.
I am not the type of person that likes to do kits. I like to do thing my way (the hard way) read different recipes and do a slight modification to what I want. Then change it next time based on how it taste.
I can not justify 3 each right now. I just wrote out the check to the IRS:po
I will see how poor I feel when I go to the local store as to how many I buy.

Put an ad on Craigs List. I saw Amazon had a good deal recently too.

Debbie

Ron, You will find this hobby is a money pit but a lot of fun. I started a year ago with 20$ in supplies from The Wine Maker's Toy Store and some gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs (which I later found out are really carboys lol) from my Dad's cellar. A year later I have a pH meter, steam juicer, A/O set-up, a filter, a couple of scales, and six 3 gallon carboys. I'm sure there are a few other things I've left out. I do mostly country fruit wines so I like the 3 gallon carboys. I feel they give me more options. I don't need as much fruit as the 5 or 6 gallon ones. If I want to do a kit or juice bucket I split it in half and can make two different wines from one kit or bucket.

Get what you can afford but make bigger batches! Id get a 7.9 gallon primary bucket though as when you start making 3 or 5 or even 6 gallon batches and adding in fruit you will need that extra room. If making fruit 6 gallon batches you might even have to split the batch into to primaries as the fruit van take up a lot of room.

I would get a primary bucket for sure. Are you ever going to do kits? If you are you need six gallon carboys, if not five gallon will be ok.

This is a good idea. Both from the kit standpoint and as you get more into it definitely economies of scale with the amount of time involved for each batch if you use a 6 gallon carboy.

i started out with a 7.9 primary 1-5 gal & a 1-6 gal. Now i have 3-6gal, 5-5gal, 2-3gal , 2-1gal. & 2-7.9 gal primaries. I just added carboys as i needed.

Latest posts

Back