What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, I know exactly what you mean! I worked in hardware in the 80's and like a lot of people I had the job during the day and then I tinkered at night. Apple was always looked down on. To this day I will not buy any Apple products and I really don't know why.
I have an iPod Touch, which is the best of the music players I've tried. My main beef with Apple products is the price. Paying $600 to $1,200 USD for a disposable device, when I can get an equivalent one for under $300? (we paid far less than that, by careful shopping)

Sure, other vendors sell high priced disposable products -- I didn't buy them, either. :)

Regarding Mac vs PC? I build business software, and Windows has the overwhelming market share that has kept me employed for 30+ years. Like with the phones, it's simple economics -- CGE wins in my book!

CGE = Continuing Gainful Employment ....

I have an iPod Touch, which is the best of the music players I've tried. My main beef with Apple products is the price. Paying $600 to $1,200 USD for a disposable device, when I can get an equivalent one for under $300? (we paid far less than that, by careful shopping)

Sure, other vendors sell high priced disposable products -- I didn't buy them, either. :)

Regarding Mac vs PC? I build business software, and Windows has the overwhelming market share that has kept me employed for 30+ years. Like with the phones, it's simple economics -- CGE wins in my book!

CGE = Continuing Gainful Employment ....

It's a beautiful thing to be able to afford and enjoy the Apple experience, I agree. The moment you start to unbox it, the careful thought that has gone into every aspect of the packaging, the product and the user experience – from the tactile elements to the interaction with the machine itself – becomes evident. Every single aspect of the initial experience has been carefully considered, and the Apple products I have had are the easiest to set up I have ever experienced. It is akin to moving to a Lexus from a Chevrolet. Of course, the educator's discount doesn't hurt, either. ;)

Sure, there's a price premium on the Apple products, but they last, and have resale value. Most PC's are too bloated to function after 3 or 4 years and not worth much. The Macs just keep going. My dad just got a new iMac last week to replace the one he bought 11 years ago. I'd say he got his money's worth. I'll upgrade every 4 years or so, but will typically sell my old Mac for 35-45% what I paid for it.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful thing to be able to afford and enjoy the Apple experience, I agree. The moment you start to unbox it, the careful thought that has gone into every aspect of the packaging, the product and the user experience – from the tactile elements to the interaction with the machine itself – becomes evident. Every single aspect of the initial experience has been carefully considered, and the Apple products I have had are the easiest to set up I have ever experienced. It is akin to moving to a Lexus from a Chevrolet. Of course, the educator's discount doesn't hurt, either. ;)
Don't hate on me pc people--I don't judge others' computer choices and I don't have any interest in trying to sell anyone on an Apple. With that in mind . . .
I still own and use a 2003 Powerbook and 2005 Powermac G5 (legacy software used for my business that I haven't found a better replacement for my needs), 2011 iMac (I upgraded with SSD) is my main desktop), a 2012 MacBook Pro that I keep by my chair and spend most my computer time on, and a 2021 MacBook Pro I use for Township work. Dark side, I guess 😁

If you're doing mortise and tenon I admire your ambition.
Perhaps instead you should question my sanity… I am.

I built my workshop as a traditional timber frame many years ago but used primarily pine and aspen. This frame is all ash. The tenons aren’t too bad but the mortises suuuuck! The one in the picture is the start of a dovetailed and wedged through mortise. Even with the drill to hog out most of the waste it took two hours to complete. Luckily there are only 8 of them 😩
BFFAA34A-855C-4122-AF38-BFEBFDC04F10.jpeg
If I can average one timber a day I should be ready raise it in May.

Perhaps instead you should question my sanity… I am.
I did, believe me, I did.

A friend's father was on the odd side, had some peculiar ideas. A meteorologist in the military, when the father retired he moved back to his home town (I went to high school with this friend), and decided to build a house that he designed.

They lived in a trailer on the property for 3 years during construction. The only nails in the house were roofing nails. Everything was put together with mortise and tenon, dovetails, etc. The only doors in the house were exterior -- they used curtains in doorways.

As long as you haven't gone that far, we can rehabilitate you!

As long as you haven't gone that far, we can rehabilitate you!
If you find me living in a yurt you’ll know if gone round the bend.

And yes I actually have drawn up plans for a full-on underground hillside hobbit house. And I have a location in the hill behind the house. Every now and then I pull out the plans and look at them, Maybe make a few changes, then put them away in the knowledge that my wife would kill me if I even brought it up 🤣🤣

And yes I actually have drawn up plans for a full-on underground hillside hobbit house.
That would be cool! Although the electric bill for the dehumidifiers would be ugly. In my case, I'd need a hill where I could have windows on all sides, as Mrs. WM81 likes lots of windows. I'm an IT guy, don't need no stinkin' sunlight, just pizza and coffee!

Don't hate on me pc people--I don't judge others' computer choices and I don't have any interest in trying to sell anyone on an Apple. With that in mind . . .
I still own and use a 2003 Powerbook and 2005 Powermac G5 (legacy software used for my business that I haven't found a better replacement for my needs), 2011 iMac (I upgraded with SSD) is my main desktop), a 2012 MacBook Pro that I keep by my chair and spend most my computer time on, and a 2021 MacBook Pro I use for Township work. Dark side, I guess 😁

Let me be really clear about this: There is 100% ZERO hate or judgment in anything I wrote. As a matter of fact, I could not possibly care less what other people buy. Fact.

Let me be really clear about this: There is 100% ZERO hate or judgment in anything I wrote. As a matter of fact, I could not possibly care less what other people buy. Fact.

We can't have nonsense talk like that on the internets. We must be right and if folks don't agree with us, they is wrong!

I'm really, really glad that 99.5% of the folks on this forum don't have this attitude. Pretty much everyone is a here's my opinion, you got yours, take what you want, ignore the rest.

We can't have nonsense talk like that on the internets. We must be right and if folks don't agree with us, they is wrong!

I'm really, really glad that 99.5% of the folks on this forum don't have this attitude. Pretty much everyone is a here's my opinion, you got yours, take what you want, ignore the rest.

Actually, it is 99.4%. :D

I always say, if you include the word "actually" in your post, then you are probably doing it wrong!

Whoops. I definitely wasn't referring to anyone's post or intending this to annoy anyone, especially a former fellow Illinoisan. :) Sorry if I worded this poorly.

Whoops. I definitely wasn't referring to anyone's post or intending this to annoy anyone, especially a former fellow Illinoisan. :) Sorry if I worded this poorly.

Nah, I think it took it the wrong way rather than you wording it poorly. Like that NEVER happens online! 😂 But it is true. I don't care a rat's... well, you know... :p

I rebuilt my 8 yo PC tonight. A couple weeks ago I discovered that only half the RAM (memory) was working, and my first attempt to fix it failed. I thought it over, it's not worth putting money into an ancient PC, even though it's been fine for my needs. At this age, it's more likely to be a money pit. So I decided to replace the necessary components.

Yep, three years ago when I finally got rid of the 16-year-old PC box to bite the Apple, the box was all that was left because the innards had been al swapped out (some several times) and I was still running patched XP. I loved XP, dammit. :D Main reason I switched over was cuz they quit XP in 2014. 🤣 I still have brand new CD players and etc. that I never got around to installing.

Yep, three years ago when I finally got rid of the 16-year-old PC box to bite the Apple, the box was all that was left because the innards had been al swapped out (some several times) and I was still running patched XP. I loved XP, dammit. :D Main reason I switched over was cuz they quit XP in 2014. 🤣 I still have brand new CD players and etc. that I never got around to installing.

Right there with you, man! I loved XP too! They had to stop support for the good of future products, obviously. Too many people liked XP.

Right there with you, man! I loved XP too! They had to stop support for the good of future products, obviously. Too many people liked XP.

Yep, when they quit it, there were still thousands of businesses across the USA using it. I hung on for like 6 years after they stopped support, I like it do much. They had to kill it to push their newer, crappier stuff. So I said bye-bye to that whole PC world.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back