what now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar309

Reaction score
I want to bulk age my first wine... its now it the secondary about ready to rack again... but what point to I leave it alone for bulk ageing? do all the instructions up to degassing and then leave it? and I noticed in the video after he degassed and came back to the next step he had his wine topped off... so I am guessing he must have topped it off after degassing?? how do I do this? buy a wine of the same type and add to it?

You can buy a wine of same type, you can displace the 02 with argon gas or another gas, you can even use glass marbles to displace the missing volume but sanitize them first please.

Often I'll rack down to a 5 gallon carboy or keg and bottle the rest. Allowing most of the wine to age and keep us out of it while allowing us a few bottles that we can taste along they way.
VPC

A long long time ago...
In the beginning of our wine making ventures...
When we could no longer reach the top of the wine in the carboy with the 'wine thief' [aka...turkey baster] then it was time to bottle....
smiley9.gif

When the wine is clear, stable and ready to bottle I then let it bulk age. I top up with a similar wine. Similar for me is a dry red wine for a red wine and a dry white for a white, etc. etc. The little amount I use isn't going to affect the flavor or profile of a 6 gallon batch. If you are making a Wine Expert kit you can add up to a liter of water and the concentration if the kit actually has it factored in that you will do this so don't feel you are going to water down your wine. Brands like Mosti say do not do this and top up with a like type wine. For home wines I just use what ever is closest to top up with.

Back