What more will I need?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some may know, I've started some lilac wine. This past weekend our B.C. wine-buddy gave us about two gallons or so of frozen raspberries. Soooo...raspberry wine is coming up
smiley2.gif

BUT, while I have all the kit-wine stuff-- fermenters, carboys, etc. will I need to get into testing for and adjusting the acidity, free SO2, test for pH, etc? I have some pH strips but that's pretty loose in terms of measurements, I think. Just curious....
smiley24.gif
(And, if I should have asked this question in Fruit wines, go ahead andmove it!)

The must haves for making fruit wine are an acid test kit, straining bag, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, powder K-meta, and potassium sorbate. A pH meter is a nice to have but isn't absolutely necessary. The same goes for testing of free So2 as if you control(accurate measurement) how much K-meta you are adding then testing it isn't critical.

I would opt to spend some cash on a good gram scale to measure K-meta than buying a pH meter. I like some others don't care for campden tabs for various reasons and prefer to use powder K-meta.

Whoa! That's the price of half a good kit, or a low-grade kit! I was thinking about WalMart but maybe this would be the way to go for long-time, solid and dependable use.... Thanks for the link!
smiley32.gif

I use a postal scale that will give weights in metric and U.S.
measurements. It cost about $14 and also has a zeroing function so you
can get rid of the container weight and avoid that silly math stuff. It
has come in very handy. It is a Royal model ex3 postal scale.

Latest posts

Back