What kind of honey?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
Okay so I'm planing my next batches in advance but would like to know what kind of honey to use in mead. Is there certain things to look for? Can I just pick it up at the grocery store? Thanks

umm okay that mean nothing to me. haha can I just pick up a few bottles at the grocery store?

I used the clover to blend with apple cider
5 gallons. Plan on bottling that soon too.

If them honey is cheap be carefull.

There was a documentary on Dutch TV that there are cheap honeys in the Dutch stores which are actually honey mixed with sugar water !!!
That honey is mostly impoted from china.

We can identify it from the label. If it mentions non-EC honey then there is a chance that it is not pure honey.

Honey is expensive so there will be pirates around.

Luc

some honey is pasturized and it losses alot of flavor. Cheap honey. I get good honey at costco and they have the best price around. I also get great honey from local bee keepers.Look into getting to know 1 or 2 bee keepers. It has been great for me

So I should look for honey that isn't pasturised?

Any other guide line? Certain ingredients that I should avoid?

I really don't want to buy the wrong honey cause even the cheap stuff is expenssive if you waste it. Thanks for the info.

So I should look for honey that isn't pasturised?
Why would you think of a need to pasteurise honey ? I'm pretty sure that the ancient Egyptians didn't have pasteurisers before they put some in one of the pyramids/other graves.... and the archaeologists found some samples still edible after many millennia.

Honey is already anti-bacterial in it's natural state, so when it's blended/mixed/treated for food consumption, it's often heated to allow it to be mixed/filtered for aesthetic (packaging/display) reasons.

If you can locate a nice tasting, local, raw honey, then I'd suggest you use that. Any hive/bee debris settles out during the fermentation and clearing processes and lack of heat retains a greater number of the aromatics and some flavours that might be lost (and that also applies to the type of yeast used - it's why I don't use champagne yeast).
Any other guide line? Certain ingredients that I should avoid?

I really don't want to buy the wrong honey cause even the cheap stuff is expensive if you waste it. Thanks for the info.
The varietal honeys linked at the Beefolks above are good examples of honey that has made good meads of various types before.

Some don't like to use pure buckwheat, as it can have a "farm yard" hint to it, but they will use another honey and mix a little buckwheat in.

As for ingredients to avoid, have a read through various threads here, but also over at Gotmead. That should give you some idea about what to use or not, as might be the case, but also about types/styles of meads that you might want to try.

regards

fatbloke

Why would you think of a need to pasteurise honey ? I'm pretty sure that the ancient Egyptians didn't have pasteurisers before they put some in one of the pyramids/other graves.... and the archaeologists found some samples still edible after many millennia.

Honey is already anti-bacterial in it's natural state, so when it's blended/mixed/treated for food consumption, it's often heated to allow it to be mixed/filtered for aesthetic (packaging/display) reasons.

If you can locate a nice tasting, local, raw honey, then I'd suggest you use that. Any hive/bee debris settles out during the fermentation and clearing processes and lack of heat retains a greater number of the aromatics and some flavours that might be lost (and that also applies to the type of yeast used - it's why I don't use champagne yeast).

The varietal honeys linked at the Beefolks above are good examples of honey that has made good meads of various types before.

Some don't like to use pure buckwheat, as it can have a "farm yard" hint to it, but they will use another honey and mix a little buckwheat in.

As for ingredients to avoid, have a read through various threads here, but also over at Gotmead. That should give you some idea about what to use or not, as might be the case, but also about types/styles of meads that you might want to try.

regards

fatbloke
I think you miss read the post

Do a google search of bee keepers in your area. Most states have a website for bee keepers. Raw honey is best.

If you find honey too expensive, you CAN also mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with sugar and still get a nice product.

Debbie

Thanks everyone for the help. I will have to make some research on honey since it seems I don't know much about it. I never bought honey other then in the store. Thanks again!

I think you miss read the post
?????

read that and thought "maybe", but after checking the thread, to see whether I'd been thinking of something else (and whether I should delete my comment), feel that while it's not a direct "don't use X, Y or Z" answer, does point toward a good source of guidance (Gotmead), for mead making. While also alluding to reasons about not pasteurising honey (a point also raised by the OP), because it isn't necessary.

Hey ho!

regards

fatbloke

Back