What juices to use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
In this never ending circle of learning, I once again find myself wanting answers. I decided to make some wine from juice and there are several tried and tested recipes on here.

My problem is what juice to use. I went to Aldi today and there was Hi Juice, pure apple and fruit juices, cordials and 50/50 juices. Can someone tell me what type of juice I should be looking for. I keep seeing real grape juice advertised in recipes but what is it and where can it be bought.

Ive even bought a fruit press to try some authentic brewing so we will see where that takes us when it gets here.

When I have made wine from juice, I always get 100% juice. I have done apple, kiwi-strawberry, and maybe something else that escapes me now. I generally add some white (Niagara) grape juice to the mix for body and mouthfeel. I go with the 100% juice to bring as much flavor to the table as I can.

Welches is good, Ocean spray, Basically any that says 100% juice, even if it is from concentrate. Oh yes and concentrates work well too. The thing to look for are additives, Most acids are OK. Citric, ascorbic acid, ect. Potassium Metabisulphite used as a preservative is okay as we use it as a preservative in wine anyway.

I have had good success with the $3-4 quarts of 100% juice from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods...or the hipster section of the local grocery store. They are usually in glass bottles.

I have made the stuff listed below, usually in 1 gallon batches.
Pomegranate
Pomegranate/Cherry
Cranberry
Cranberry/Apple
Apple
Apple/Spice
Blackberry
Blackberry/Blueberry
Blueberry

Basically the only things on the ingredients list should be fruit juice and water

Welches is good, Ocean spray, Basically any that says 100% juice, even if it is from concentrate. Oh yes and concentrates work well too. The thing to look for are additives, Most acids are OK. Citric, ascorbic acid, ect. Potassium Metabisulphite used as a preservative is okay as we use it as a preservative in wine anyway.

You break my heart Bergmann!

Latest posts

Back