What is this stuff in my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTReese

Junior
Reaction score
Ok I made 3 gallons of elderberry wine using the recipe on the vintner's harvest can. I fermented till dry then bulked aged it around 2 months. Wife asked me to bottle it for a x-mas party. So I washed and star san'd all the bottles. I racked over to a bucket added some wine conditioner to taste and bottled the wine. Took a couple of bottles to the party the next day, people drank it and enjoyed it. Now 4 -5 days later I hae some reddish-brown stuff on the bottom side of the bottle. Is this the wine conditioner that has settled out or maybe some lee's that were suspended? I can shake the bottles and the gunk seems to go right back into the wine. As I would like to give some of this wine away for gifts I wanna make sure it is ok. Any thoughts would be welcome! Thanks!

Ok I made 3 gallons of elderberry wine using the recipe on the vintner's harvest can. I fermented till dry then bulked aged it around 2 months. Wife asked me to bottle it for a x-mas party. So I washed and star san'd all the bottles. I racked over to a bucket added some wine conditioner to taste and bottled the wine. Took a couple of bottles to the party the next day, people drank it and enjoyed it. Now 4 -5 days later I hae some reddish-brown stuff on the bottom side of the bottle. Is this the wine conditioner that has settled out or maybe some lee's that were suspended? I can shake the bottles and the gunk seems to go right back into the wine. As I would like to give some of this wine away for gifts I wanna make sure it is ok. Any thoughts would be welcome! Thanks!

Sounds like it just sediment.

This is why they invented decanters, although 4-5 days seems an awful short time percipitate sediment.

Give us more specifics. Did you take any steps to clarify your wine (filter, etc) before bottling?

How was the all over PH / Acid level of the wine?

What type of closure did you use (cork, synthetic, screwcaps)?

and how did you treat your closures before bottling?

did you add the wine conditioner right before you bottled? or did you let it sit for a couple days?

Soaked the corks prior to use, and yes i bottled right after i add the wine conditioner. Sorry I didn't check the ph on the wine, the wife and I just tasted the wine found it to be to our liking and bottled. Didn't use anything to clear the wine.

OK,

I suspect that this is caused by natural sedimentation. Has the wine's temperature been reduced since you bottled?

In any case, I would not take it to heart. Just use a decanter and all is well.

Latest posts

Back