what is the white stuff floating in my wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
I am looking for someone who has seen this white stuff before and could identify it. I noticed this so far in two different wines: dragon's blood and this white grape peach wine. I have not seen it in my kits wine but I didn't use clear bottles for any of the kits that I have made so perhaps I just can't see it. This white stuff is actually faint. You need good lighting and angle to see it. It looks like a cloud of smoke developping as you move the bottle...

Any idea? could it be simply that I tend to rush these wines? 4 weeks for drangon's blood and 6 weeks for this one hence some lees still appear - compared to my kit wines which I usually do in about 13 weeks? Do I simply think too much about it?

No foul odor nor taste with either wines.

Thanks for the feedback.

20140621_172300.jpg

20140621_172303.jpg

Leftover sediment. Probably sparkolloid residue, if that's what you used. A little sediment is not considered a flaw in home made wines. Filtering will remove this in the future. or waiting longer for it to fall out.

Yes I used sparkolloid. Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear I don't have to worry about it.

it maybe dead yeast as well. I would wait a little longer on your next batches and make sure everything has settled out. sometimes filtering may be necessary.

What so2 did you use?
How old are the wines?

Lab spoilage looks a bit like that .

It's probably yeast lees from bottling to early then.

If it was older and no so2 was added , it could be lab bacterial spoilage .

I see that in the carboy when I use sparkaloid. When I bottle I only put the racking cane down 1/2 way and slowly inch it down as it empties to avoid picking up the sediment. Try filtering before bottling. I think its just sediment from the sparkaloid.

Manvsvine, how do you add SO2, I have never heard about that. SO2 is sulfur dioxide and has that rotten egg smell.

I don't know if this in the right post however, I have a white film on the top of my kit wine. I've been bulk ageing for a couple of months. I had added a grape pack of merlot grapes I had in the freezer from last fall into the primary. I made 2 kits the same no film on the second one. Any thoughts ? Bakervinyard

I'd agree, that looks like what I call "Sparkolloid Fluff". I see that a lot on my rushed wines. In fact, I'm considering going to superkleer once I've used up all my Sparkolloid.

Bakervinyard, if you can, post a picture.
Not sure when you added the grape pack. Was it pre ferment? What does the white film look like?

Bakervinyard, if you can, post a picture.
Not sure when you added the grape pack. Was it pre ferment? What does the white film look like?

Not sure if I can post a picture just got an I-Phone and still learning how to use it, Lol. The grape pack was added pre-ferment. The white film is almost like a thick paste like consistaince. I gently poured some bottled water to the carboy and was able to float most of it out, I then used a clean paper towel with sanitizer and cleaned the inside neck of the carboy.I checked with my LHBS and they said its not a big problem. Bakervinyard

Manvsvine, how do you add SO2, I have never heard about that. SO2 is sulfur dioxide and has that rotten egg smell.

no you are thinking of h2s , hydrogen sulfide , which you get when you don't feed your yeast

I am talking about sulphur dioxide , which you add as potassium metabisulfite or campden tablets .

its the main preservative of winemakers .

Not sure if I can post a picture just got an I-Phone and still learning how to use it, Lol. The grape pack was added pre-ferment. The white film is almost like a thick paste like consistaince. I gently poured some bottled water to the carboy and was able to float most of it out, I then used a clean paper towel with sanitizer and cleaned the inside neck of the carboy.I checked with my LHBS and they said its not a big problem. Bakervinyard

I have never seen that before!

Latest posts

Back