What is the 'start date' for determining a wine's age?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
On winemaking store websites and other places I often see recommendations for aging wine kits (e.g., "Minimum Recommended Aging: 6 months," "Wine Peaks At: 18 months," etc.). From what day is this determined? The day the wine was stabilized? The day on which the kit instructions say to bottle the wine? The day fermentation ends? Just curious.

Thanks,
Jason

Usually it is the year of harvest. Bottling date is not that relevant to me, because the wine could have bulk aged for several years; even homemade wine.

For my own purposes, specifically for kits, since we can't really know for sure about the harvest year, I always use the month and year I started the kit. That seems to me to be most relevant, since that date or the date ageing begins is what will determine when I think it "should" be drinkable.

I make the year prevalent on the label, but put the month down in a lower corner.

I do the same for frozen grapes.

Really, it's your wine, so do as you think best. (That's what makes this hobby so much fun - it's all yours!!!)

I start aging the day the wine has fermented dry. Whether its bulk aged or in a bottle thats when I start the clock and thats what I put on the label.

Robie is correct. I use a slightly different approach though. I use "your wine is ready to bottle now" date, whether I bottle on that date, or bulk age for months.

I start the clock as soon as the wine is clear and ready to bottle. Others start as soon as the wine is dry.

"Must" becomes wine when you pitch the yeast. That's the date I use. For bulk aging calculation, I go by the date I stabilized it. IMO

I put the date I bottle it on all my labels. The wineries out the year of the harvest. It's up to you what you want on your own personable bottles.

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who have responded. I think maybe I should clarify my question a bit. I'm not concerned about dates that I may choose to put on my labels. Rather, how to interpret kit drinking window guidelines. For instance, here's the summary information from a retailer's website for the RJS Cru Select Pinot Noir California, which I started about 3 months ago and bottled over the weekend:

Flavor : Pinot Noir
Sweetness : 0
F-Pack : N
Oak Type : Toasted
Oak Intensity : 3
Minimum Recomended Aging : 6 Months
Wine Peaks At : 18 Months

My question is from what starting point do I calculate the 6 & 18 month dates. Certainly, these dates have nothing to do with the harvest date(s), nor, as best I can figure, the date on which the wine is bottled (since the option of bulk aging can be a huge variable). Counting from the date the wine ferments to dry makes sense, as suggested by some.

Thanks again,
Jason

Wow, were we off base!

Count from the date the wine ferments to dry.

I would assume time starts when you pitch the yeast, but I don't do kits... So not much help there. But that makes since because people bottle at differnt times...

I say it's the "born on" date soooo I use the date when I pitch the yeast...

I consider aging date from when i stabilize. Because you can either bottle at that point or age. I go by the fact that there are 2 types of aging, Bulk Aging or Bottle Aging which both of these would have the same starting point.

I have heard that the conservative wine "right to lifers" considered it from the moment the yeast fertilizes the must........ :db

There seems to be two different conversations going on here. One year of the wine discussion and two at what point is it finished ferment and considered aging. As mention above is my answer to the later

My 2 cents....
Date on bottle is year/ month when I pitched yeast.
Age for determining maturity.... when I stabilize and backsweeten/f-pak or use finings....

I think you all missed the mark. I think its time to drink when it taste good or when it's the next available date in the cellar.
Also I have found even if the wine is yong, after the second or thrid glass it taste better:i

Latest posts

Back