What is the best way to make high proof legal alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make high proof clean tasting alcohol that has low methanol and is still legal to make.

The only real way is to use a good, strong yeast (like ec-1118) and to step-feed it. That is, start out with a SG of 1.100 or so, add ec-1118, and then keep adding sugar after it ferments down,

Would aging in a wooden cask at low RH concentrate the product further?

I am sure you can find info about distillation other places on the internet, but this ain't it :slp

This topic will be monitored closely. Any form of bumping up the alcohol level other than natural fermentation or adding legal spirits is not allowed per the forum rules and any mention of such will be removed.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_rulesandregulations

Does this also include discussion of freeze fractioning?

On the topic of OP, I would most likely go with something like ec-1118 or perhaps one of the more exotic yeast that are designed to make uber high alcohol. Just be careful, it might not taste all that good. I would also make sure you give them yeasties plenty of nutrients as well.

the super yeast, and turbo yeast will make a 20 percent abv in a few short days.

So could I make a weak vodka tasting wine by step feeding ec-1118 to around 18% if I use sugar and yeast nutrient? How about adding yeast energizer? I could run it through a Brita filter to improve the flavor I think.

I would read up on one of the YAN topic on this forum. That would tell you all you need to know about nutrient additions, which would be crucial in such an endevor.

Also, if stepfeeding, I recommend that you keep track of your volume at each step very closely since it becomes difficult to calculate ABV if you do not.

Just to put my own slant on this..

Natural Fermentation is the only legal way to produce an alcoholic beverage. Any additional process that you might employ (including distillation or partial crystallization) to "up" the level of alcohol is illegal. (unless you have both state and federal licenses to manufacture). This is mostly because the US government is protecting their alcohol tax revenue.

By and large, the most ABV you can get out of natural fermentation is around 18 or 19%. This is the point where most yeasts are killed off by the alcohol they produce.

In short, for the amateur, there is no such a thing as a Legal/high proof alcohol.

Touchy topic but out of curiosity

If you froze your wine, then partially thaw it you'll end up with the higher alcohol thawing first. couldn't you then referment the leftover liquid, then combine with the original thawed liquid??

I don't think thats the same thing as distilling is it? youre still just naturally fermenting? and you would almost have to end up with a higher alcohol wine in the end.

If this post is inappropriate, please remove.

How about freezing to concentrate alcohol? Seems like that would be a hard one to enforce. Just say you were cold crashing, and forgot about it.

My guess is anytime you get into freezing an alcoholic spirit, you are probably getting into illegal territory. The re-fermenting of the liquid would be legal, but the freezing illegal. Just get a bottle of everclear and call her good.

The leftover liquid is nearly all water. What is there to ferment?

if you start with a very high gravity liquid and fermented it to the yeasts alcohol tolerance whatever it might be, there would be lots of sugar left in the now finished but extremely sweet wine. after freezing and thawing off the alcohol the remaining liquid would be quite high in sugar.

I read about a guy doing it to a dark beer that he had miscalculated something or other in the recipe. He removed a bunch of alcohol by freezing it and then repitched to the leftover liquid. after that fermented he just mixed the two liquids and bottled it up.

With the development of Graphene, we are bound to see new ways of achieving this.

It allows water vapor to go through, but not ethanol vapor. Meaning that low energy "evaporation" can be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back