What happen while in the fridge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2tazmania

Reaction score
I bottle my Nobel on Saturday and had about 1/2 a bottle left. I put it in the fridge. My wife had it for dinner tonight and there are little specs stuck to the side of the bottle. I know it wasn't settlement because I filtered it twice in the process before bottling. What am I missing?

Tartaric acid may be the culprit. That is why cold stabilization is recommended before bottling.

We tasted it before I bottled it and it had a sour/tart taste to it. I didn't get to try what was in the fridge but my wife said it really tasted good. Could the tartaric acid cause a sour/tart taste? And when it fell out, the taste was better?

I agree that it is most likely tartaric "wine diamonds".

Another possibility is this... Although you filtered it twice, I assume you did not cold stabilize. By putting the wine into the fridge, and lowering the wine's temperature further that its ever been (thus lowing the all over solubility of the wine) it is highly likely that you did get some sediment.

Latest posts

Back