RJ Spagnols What Degree of Filtering Strawberry Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
I've had a thread on WMT before about my RJS strawberry riesling but thought I'd start a new one due to my question being related to filtering of my batch. I'll be looking at filtering before I bottle and I'm hoping to do that this coming weekend. After degassing and adding the clarifier, my wine settled out beautifully and I've left it sitting for a couple weeks. Have to confess that I snuck a tube full out with my thief to taste it (little dry, finished at .994 and just a hint of strawberry - I love the golden hued color). To get to my question though folks; I use the buon vino filter system and recommendations are to filter using the #2 filter first (to 5 micron) and then use the #3 (.5 micron I think it says) to polish filter it again. I am considering going straight to the finer #3 filter since it has cleared so well. Any thoughts (besides the fact that I should get myself an All In One)? Jerry :dg

001.JPG

002.JPG

I would filter with a #2 only. But then I have NEVER used a #3. I also do not recommend filtering a wine twice.

Steve

I would filter with a #2 only. But then I have NEVER used a #3. I also do not recommend filtering a wine twice.

Steve

Steve .... thanks for the comments. I've heard that for reds, definitely use only the #2. It is recommended (by buon vino) that for whites, a #3 filtering really poishes and finishes it but only use the #3 AFTER running the wine through a #2. Not sure why, can't find anything that explains the reasoning. Just that my wine is so clean and clear, I thought of skipping the #2 altogether. Jerry

Latest posts

Back