what can you make wine from?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willymuff2

Junior
Reaction score
what kinds of fruit concentrate drinks along the lines of ribena that u can buy in tesco or sainsburys can you make wine with? can someone help me
out with a list? thanks

I just had a Ribena experience. Took forever to get fermentation going. Read the label of any juice concentrate to ensure it doesn't contain Potassium Sorbate.
Someone here sent me a link to online wine concentrates. There was at least 25 fruit ones available. Cheap too. Averaged $25 to make 20-26 liters.

image-4019433172.jpg

Anything that doesnt have sorbate or benzoate in it should ferment and that label has sorbate in it so I dont recommend that!

That was my point. Ergo I said " I had a difficult time starting fermentation"

The label also shows sodium metabisulfite, the less-commonly-used alternative to potassium metabisulfite. No wonder fermentation wouldn't start!

I wonder what "natural grapeskin colour" is exactly.

Ya I had to heat it... Add a packet of yeast. Let the sorbate absorb into the yeast. Rack it off the now useless yeast. Pitch again. Then make a side starter with Montrachet and Welches and pitch that 24 hours later.
7 easy steps lol

I wonder if they mean "color made from natural grape skins" or "artificial color to match the color of natural grape skins"?
Either way. No more Ribena ferments for me.
Ill use it as a backsweetener only.

The label also shows sodium metabisulfite, the less-commonly-used alternative to potassium metabisulfite. No wonder fermentation wouldn't start!

It is very common to have a sulfite in shelf stable bottled products. It is to prevent bottle fermentation but levels are never typically high enough that you cannot establish a ferment by pitching yeast. If that were the case all the grapes and grape pails and fruit juices with SO2 on board would never ferment.

Latest posts

Back