What are your Winemaking plans for 2006?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lambrusco, Vanilla, Garlic, Jalapeno, Crushendo Cabernet, Blueberry, and Eggplant.

I like to make few wines on my own, no real input from Bert. Love him dearly but sometimes it's good to do things on your own.

My plans for the year so far are:

Grapefruit (Terry Garey, p. 102)

Strawberry Melomel ((Making Wild Wines & Meads, p. 121)

Golden Beet Wine (no recipe yet)

jojo said:
Lambrusco, Vanilla, Garlic, Jalapeno, Crushendo Cabernet, Blueberry, and Eggplant.
Have you previously made Eggplant wine? If so, what type of wine do you get from it?

PolishWineP said:
jojo said:

Have you previously made Eggplant wine?  If so, what type of wine do you get from it?

I was also wondering about the Eggplant Wine....I grow them every year and they are prolific producers, we can never eat all of them...they are so pretty I keep one on the counter just to look at....my hubby calls them the 'decorative vegtable'...wonder if they would make an interesting wine [?] as they really have no flavor.
smiley4.gif

jojo said:

Garlic...yes please share this one! Garlic rules and we use lots of it.

I already have plans to increase garden space to grow more peppers for hot sauce and habaneros for cooking wine!

Speaking of eggplant, there are also other prolific producers in all our gardens. I love fresh cucumbers so I usually overplant them. when everything goes well, I get tons of them and end up giving them away at work. Is it possible to make wine from them? What about tomatoes?

1 gal. Strawberry ageing

6 gal. Italian Montepulciano, readyto filter &bottle.

6 gal. Luna Rossa, in primary fermentation.

NEXT UP:

WE French Chardonnay

WE Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

WE Sel. Chianti

FIRST TIME WINES:

Apple wine

Elderberry

Blackberry

Blueberry

Niagara white

This lineup will take up all my free time, all my carboys, but later this year I'll beenjoying somegood stuff.

Neighbors made some tomato wine...they said it was awful....they gave us a bottle a year ago, we still have it. They were going to drop it off near a collage, but dumped it out once when they needed bottles...We'll open it someday and let you know how it is. They tried mixing it with soda pop and other wines, but they still didn't lke it...
smiley5.gif
Anyone else ever made it???

I've made tomato wine.

My experience has been, you either love it or you hate it. My parents think it's terrible, the bottle guy (my bottle supplier) loves it. He keeps asking me if I have more (I don't).

You have to be careful of the acid in tomato wine. It turns out a white wine.

Northern Winos said:
I was also wondering about the Eggplant Wine....I grow them every year and they are prolific producers, we can never eat all of them...they are so pretty I keep one on the counter just to look at....my hubby calls them the 'decorative vegtable'...wonder if they would make an interesting wine [?] as they really have no flavor.
smiley4.gif

PolishWine said:
Have you previously made Eggplant wine? If so, what type of wine do you get from it?

I've never made it. The wife says she doesn't want it. I am just intrigued at Kellers recipe and I have to try it.

Back