Started a few wines this week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Well, I guess it's "get the freezer ready for the new season" season, and I've cleaned out the freezer and used a lot of my dried stuff I got for christmas.

I am currently making:

1. <LI>Red-Clover-Hibiscus-Elderberry with a Touch of Honey wine - 5 gallons</LI>
    <LI>Chickweed wine (recipe in recipe section) ~ 4 gallons</LI>
    <LI>Basil-Dill wine - 1 gallon</LI>
    <LI>Dandelion wine - 1 gallon</LI>
    <LI>Caribbean Port - 1 gallon</LI>

I still have another round of rose-hip to make, but we'll see when I get around to it.

I am thinking of doing a dandelion wine later this summer...do you have a recipe posted....just looking to compare with others recipes..

Martina,

When do you find time for all of your wines? I haven't seen a dandelion since I've been in Texas. Quite a few Hibiscus here but not mine to pick. It is nice to live where you are having acsess to all of the plants available to you. Growing up not far from you...in W.Va...there was an abundance of nature and anything was possible. You are so lucky!!!!

Looking forward to trying your wines!!!!!!! Ramona

I noticed on my way home from chuch todaythat the dandelions are out in abundance! I've never made any wine from them, but I've convinced myself to give it a try!

Med, Any advice on this effort?

Oh!!!!
smiley32.gif

Well....
smiley36.gif

I would use 2 quarts per gallon... You can either remove the greens or not (I would, because the greens give you a somewhat bitter taste, and it takes longer to age).

I added raisins to my first one, and this year I'm goin' "Au naturelle" - Just dandelions. So, the verdict is not in on the latter. But the first one was great - very leggy, very smooth.

Boil the water, steep them overnight, take the stuff out, and proceed as normal.

Take a look at Jack Keller's recipes, and the first one he lists on requested recipes is the one I followed the first year.

Keep me posted, and if you have any questions, let me know.

M.

Thanks Martina,

We are getting so much rain here in Dayton that the dandelions are everywhere. Shouldn't be hard to get a few gallons started.

We had a bit of the "S-word" today...
smiley19.gif

After almost a month of May-like weather, it certainly is a jerk back into reality of April in Ohio.

Keep us posted on your dandelion wine. I'm making a gallon of it right now, so we'll have something to compare ours to side-by-side!

M.

Woke up to a heavy frost in the Miami Valley this morning. Ohio weather
smiley5.gif

Yes, it was cold here too, didn't get out of the 60's until noon and not into
the eighties until around 5 pm.

Back