What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bottled most of the 2021 Super Tuscan and Rhone Blend. 19 liters of each was reserved, and treated with K&C as an experiment to see how much sediment we get from a year old wine, and if the fining agents changes the color, aroma, taste, and/or body. Currently in progress:

Grenache (CA grapes), currently in barrel
Tempranillo (CA grapes), currently in barrel
Mourvedre/Petite Sirah/Syrah blend (CA grapes), currently in carboy
FWK Tavola Merlot fermented with Grenache pomace, currently in carboy
FWK Tavola Merlot fermented with Tempranillo pomace, currently in carboy

Primary ferment and pressing is complete on this years grapes. I purchased three buckets of washington state cab sav and one bucket of barbera. Fermented with BM4x4, and D254 and co-inoculated with vp41. Just racked off gross lees and keeping them warm to complete mlf. Two 6g carboys - one 50/50 and the other is straight CS.

Last fall’s wines are still in carboys. Two Zin, one petite syrah, and one Mouvedre. I’ll bottle those in the early spring or late winter. Maybe I can move them into the dungeon when it gets colder to cold-stabilize a bit and drop the tartrates before a final racking and kmeta.

I’m very happy with where all these stand at the moment.

I’ve got six cases of various commercial wines in the Garagiste warehouse which should ship after winter and made some space in the cellar for all the bottles come spring.

I might do a couple chilean carboys in the spring if I’m feeling it since I only did two this fall.

Holiday season is upon us so happy holidays to all!

Cheers,
Johann

Alright! Full disclosure..

@BigDaveK, if you have a couple days to type it out, maybe you would like to share your list? ;)

87 Gallons made in 11 months. I think next year I will try to dedicate myself more. 😆 13 more gallons and I'm capped at the legal limit. :rolleyes:

1. Raspberry - In Secondary
  2. Welch's white grape - Tossed- Headspace
  3. Skeeter Pee - Done and drank
  4. Dragons Blood - Also gone
  5. Triple Berry - In Secondary
  6. Shiraz- Kit - Bottled
  7. Pinot Gris- kit - Bottled
  8. Malt Hard Lemonade - It WAS delicious
  9. Merlot- kit - Bottled
  10. Diablo Rojo- Kit - Bottled
  11. Dragons Blood - Dumped- Filter soap taste
  12. Mystic - Kit - Bottled
  13. Grillo Pinot Grigio- Kit - Bottled
  14. Carrot- Juiced - Secondary
  15. Dandelion - Secondary
  16. Carrot- Boiled - Secondary
  17. Carrot, juiced- pulp in mesh bag - Secondary
  18. Dandelion - Secondary
  19. Tomato- Roasted 3 lb - Secondary
  20. Tomato- Roasted 6 lb - Secondary
  21. Tomato- raw - Secondary
  22. Roasted almond - Secondary
  23. Cab Shiraz Montepulciano kit - Secondary
  24. Pinot Noir- Kit - Secondary
  25. Sangiovese- kit - Secondary
  26. Malbec- kit - Secondary
  27. Twisted mist Miami Vice-kit - Secondary
  28. Banana - Secondary
  29. Rhubarb Kiwi - Primary
  30. Toscana- Kit - Still in box

Last edited:
In progress
1. Ginger mead- secondary
2. Black tea mead- secondary
3. Merlot- secondary
4. Grapefruit- secondary
5. Rice raisin- secondary
6. Blueberry raisin- secondary
7. Jalapeno- primary

Finished
1. Rice raisin
2. Dragon blood

I started making wine as a teenager and recently got back into the hobby.

Here are some recent batches from the EnoFile winemaking app. Most of these are Finer Wine kits and also a few Winexpert kits.

6BEC43DC-240A-44B0-80C6-71E7DDBD7AFA.png

40A2AB96-5D82-44D1-B16A-BE85F313FE56.jpeg

Attachments

• 43A45C09-47B4-4C4E-B1B7-A5AB1697E504.png
    43A45C09-47B4-4C4E-B1B7-A5AB1697E504.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 0
I am making 1.32 gallons of wine from 22 cinnamon sticks. I took it from boiling (hope this odor sustains to the end). I am going to add sugar to 1140 sg, half lemon, 2 spoons of yeast nutrient and 18% tolerant wine yeast when it gets cool.
You will have to update us on how this one turns out.

I am making 1.32 gallons of wine from 22 cinnamon sticks. I took it from boiling (hope this odor sustains to the end). I am going to add sugar to 1140 sg, half lemon, 2 spoons of yeast nutrient and 18% tolerant wine yeast when it gets cool.
I'm interested!
On my list for sure but haven't done it yet.
Did you use whole sticks or break them up? I think smashing with a hammer would give more surface area and possibly more flavor extraction. (?)
Also, what kind of cinnamon? I have Saigon, Ceylon, and Indonesian in my spice drawer. Haven't tried Chinese yet.

Just a thought - half a lemon may not be enough acid.
Also, that's a lot of sugar all at once. I would consider step feeding.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

I'm interested!
Did you use whole sticks or break them up? I think smashing with a hammer would give more surface area and possibly more flavor extraction. (?)
Also, what kind of cinnamon? I have Saigon, Ceylon, and Indonesian in my spice drawer. Haven't tried Chinese yet.

I'm real tempted to turn this into an almond wine scenario. I have cinnamon sticks on hand... considering a rash decision.

I think this would be good one to light up with 1118 and step feed till it won't take anymore. Push for 18%.You are going to want it sweet so no worry about pushing past where it can ferment dry. I am thinking a mellow Fireball. Less booze, less sweet, but still a zinger. I think I might make a plan for it first and get some ratios figured.

Any recipes @BigDaveK? I found mulled wine recipes and looks like that opened another door. I gotta stay focused! 😄

I'd run 'em through the rotary coffee grinder for the most surface area.

I use a Mr Coffee rotary grinder as my spice grinder, and have a burr grinder for coffee.

I'm real tempted to turn this into an almond wine scenario. I have cinnamon sticks on hand... considering a rash decision.

I think this would be good one to light up with 1118 and step feed till it won't take anymore. Push for 18%.You are going to want it sweet so no worry about pushing past where it can ferment dry. I am thinking a mellow Fireball. Less booze, less sweet, but still a zinger. I think I might make a plan for it first and get some ratios figured.

Any recipes @BigDaveK? I found mulled wine recipes and looks like that opened another door. I gotta stay focused! 😄
Man, I am right there with you. I am SO interested in cinnamon but with zero experience I'm going to tread lightly...for now. But almonds and cinnamon? Ooh, I understand your dilemma!!

I have fallen in love with dessert wines. I currently have 4. All were started with 71B, nice glycerol production and esters, then I added 1118 and step fed. All hit a little over 20% ABV and all crapped out between 1.010 and 1.020. I thought I would have to back sweeten to balance the alcohol but they're great where they are. They taste barely sweet with no obvious alcohol. Now I understand why dessert wines are served in small glasses - great fruit flavor and then out of nowhere the alcohol hits. One plum, two pear (1 with cloves, delicious!), and a Black Hungarian pepper...and this week I'll start a raspberry.

Mulled wines can certainly be a delight and I enjoy them. A wonderful winter drink! My wine consumption has increased enough, though, so I'll try to avoid them for now.

I'm interested!

Smashing with a hammer or running them in a rotary coffee grinder might be a good idea.

I just broke them up. Saigon cinnamon sticks would be fine, you should try with them. I made the yeast starter; After a couple of hours, it poured into the main cinnamon tea must.

About the lemon, I used a lemon on my last grape wine which I felt it was too acidic, too much taste of lemon.

It’s the second day of primary fermentation of my cinnamon tea must. Though I made the yeast starter, the fermentation is slowly taking place. It smells warm, full, slightly fruity, peppery and vanilla-like.

Attachments

• 8035726A-E823-4FCC-88CF-D6EA1A75B483.jpeg
    8035726A-E823-4FCC-88CF-D6EA1A75B483.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F7BA6354-B690-4339-B23B-4DA468088110.jpeg
    F7BA6354-B690-4339-B23B-4DA468088110.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Actually it looks like this, the layer on surface of the must gets thicker since I put the cinnamon tea must next to the heater. I left the cinnamon sticks at bottom.

Attachments

• 380EBD82-F85F-4B0D-B04D-053C4C6CD5F8.jpeg
    380EBD82-F85F-4B0D-B04D-053C4C6CD5F8.jpeg
    740.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 83D1270E-2BC0-47E8-86E6-C0118450042F.jpeg
    83D1270E-2BC0-47E8-86E6-C0118450042F.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My cinnamon must fermentation has stuck (1.140 sg): maybe I didn’t bring the yeast to room temperature after I took it from the fridge. I didn’t want to lower the potential alcohol by adding water to cause osmotic shock so I ordered 18% tolerant champagne wine yeast (SN9 Mangrove Jack’s), sprinkled it over and stirred it well.

Last edited:
You are right BigDaveK; herb musts are too relax in fermenting. Fermentation has took off since I sprinkled the new yeast. It’s good to hear the fizzling sounds again.

Back