Well, it's finally happened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor323

Reaction score
I've been making wine off and on since the 1970s, beginning with fruit wines and storebought grape juice, then I moved on to French-American hybrids from a grower and I've been hitting the kits pretty hard for the past few years. It finally happened for the first (and I hope only) time. I was going to bottle a heavy bodied Gamay when I noticed a slight H2S smell. I used RC212 yeast, added 2 packs of used skins from a different variety. Beginning SG 1.082. A few days later, when SG dropped to 1.050 I added DAP. I closed up the ferment and put under air lock a few days after that, SG 1.010. 14 days after pitching yeast I racked into secondary and added K&C. I usually rack another time before bottling but I was in a hurry to bottle this batch for everyday so I skipped the last racking. So, 27 days after racking and clarifying I prepared to bottle and there it was, the unwelcome smell of H2S. So, I racked using a transfer pump, splashing the wine into another carboy. 1) I don't know if the H2S will dissipate 2) Copper Sulfate? 3) Ascorbic Acid? 4) I've only been using nutrient mid fermentation since I began using different yeasts like RC212 and QA23 5) When sing DAP, how important is it to dissolve the stuff, it's almost impossible to dissolve, FWK provides a nutrient (likely DAP) for mid-fermentation but simply says to add the powder to the ferment.

I've been making wine off and on since the 1970s, beginning with fruit wines and storebought grape juice, then I moved on to French-American hybrids from a grower and I've been hitting the kits pretty hard for the past few years. It finally happened for the first (and I hope only) time. I was going to bottle a heavy bodied Gamay when I noticed a slight H2S smell. I used RC212 yeast, added 2 packs of used skins from a different variety. Beginning SG 1.082. A few days later, when SG dropped to 1.050 I added DAP. I closed up the ferment and put under air lock a few days after that, SG 1.010. 14 days after pitching yeast I racked into secondary and added K&C. I usually rack another time before bottling but I was in a hurry to bottle this batch for everyday so I skipped the last racking. So, 27 days after racking and clarifying I prepared to bottle and there it was, the unwelcome smell of H2S. So, I racked using a transfer pump, splashing the wine into another carboy. 1) I don't know if the H2S will dissipate 2) Copper Sulfate? 3) Ascorbic Acid? 4) I've only been using nutrient mid fermentation since I began using different yeasts like RC212 and QA23 5) When sing DAP, how important is it to dissolve the stuff, it's almost impossible to dissolve, FWK provides a nutrient (likely DAP) for mid-fermentation but simply says to add the powder to the ferment.
next time you use nutrient with RC212 make sure it contains B vitamins. DAP doesn't. RC212 is really fussy.

This is what I use

1712848971270.png

Last edited:
Hit the wine with a double-dose of K-meta and stir well in a well ventilated area. This may handle it if you have a light dose.

If it doesn't, you'll need a product such as Reduless.

If there is an unpleasant aftertaste after all of the above, ascorbic acid works, but in my case it took months.

I encountered this last year with D47. In my case, I speculate it had to do with leaving the lid on too long before racking to secondary. I did 2 splash racks with K-Meta and then added Reduless.

A week after adding Reduless, I racked again with another dose of K-Meta. Two months later the wine was good to go.

It’s not the end of the world by any means, but it is not pleasant.

* if you can smell H2S racking should pull it out. I used reduless when I smelled it and did a first in contest with it. If you are tasting it, meaty/ sulfur notes the ascorbic acid trick can be tried.
* I started using Renaissance yeast after having H2S
* I switched to Fermaid O and K after researching cures.

I hope you caught it early enough.

I agree with Rice_Guy that switching to Renaissance yeast and Fermaid-O for nutrients has been a game changer.

While there's many reasons for H2S, I suspect that low YAN is a likely culprit for many of us. Determining your starting YAN can guide your yeast choice as well as the exact nutrient regimen.

The Beverage People has a great article with an algorithm to assist with yeast selection and nutrient regimen. It requires a free account to read, but can be accessed here: https://www.thebeveragepeople.com/free-access-agreement.html

Best of luck! The advice on this forum (Especially @Rice_Guy and @winemaker81) has truly been a lifesaver!!

I agree with Rice_Guy that switching to Renaissance yeast and Fermaid-O for nutrients has been a game changer.

While there's many reasons for H2S, I suspect that low YAN is a likely culprit for many of us. Determining your starting YAN can guide your yeast choice as well as the exact nutrient regimen.

The Beverage People has a great article with an algorithm to assist with yeast selection and nutrient regimen. It requires a free account to read, but can be accessed here: https://www.thebeveragepeople.com/free-access-agreement.html

Best of luck! The advice on this forum (Especially @Rice_Guy and @winemaker81) has truly been a lifesaver!!
Agreed with everyone here. One of the things we started doing is since fermaid o requires being put when fermentation starts and 1/3 sugar depletion. We starting putting fermaid o in right when we put the yeast in. It’s not a big deal with rc212 but when getting to the more wild and specific strands it comes in handy.

anyone ever tried tossing some copper in the vessel ? CLEANED Copper pipe, wires or 1982 and earlier pennies....for example.

Supposedly copper interacts with the H2S to "neutralize" it.

I haven't tried it -- but have seen it suggested in various spots whilst surfing around the vino making sites.

Cheers!

anyone ever tried tossing some copper in the vessel ? CLEANED Copper pipe, wires or 1982 and earlier pennies....for example.

BITD pouring wine over new copper pennies (back when pennies were made from copper) was how H2S was handled.

It's not a good idea; actually it's a very bad idea, as you have NO idea how much copper is being introduced into the wine. Note that copper is a poison.

Products like Reduless provide a strictly controlled dose of copper, which (if you follow the directions) is removed by fining.

I haven't tried it -- but have seen it suggested in various spots whilst surfing around the vino making sites.

Cheers!

For the approximately millionth time:

-Yes, copper binds H2S, and...
-Modern pennies are 100% copper on the OUTSIDE, you know, where the wine touches it. But....
-Using copper in wine is a bad idea, as the low pH of wine can dissolve enough copper to be dangerous.

BITD pouring wine over new copper pennies (back when pennies were made from copper) was how H2S was handled.

It's not a good idea; actually it's a very bad idea, as you have NO idea how much copper is being introduced into the wine. Note that copper is a poison.

Products like Reduless provide a strictly controlled dose of copper, which (if you follow the directions) is removed by fining.
The problem with this is you can't control the amount of copper in the resulting wine. Too much copper is toxic.

Back