Quantcast

Weird looking (and smelling) Kmeta

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Siwash

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is Kmeta... doesn't smell anything like it and I have never seen this texture. It's usually a fine powder. May be sending it back onceI hear what seller has to say...

Thoughts?

IMG_1968.JPG

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
If you are willing to open the bag, I suppose you could dissolve some in water and smell the solution.

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that it certainly looks like potassium sorbate. As soon as I saw your picture I thought that without seeing NorCals pictures. Contact the seller and notify them of the mixup and they may send you the right stuff.

garymc

Reaction score
They may have a lot of straightening out to do. I also made it for k-sorb, so I'm sure they're hearing from other customers if they've done much of this.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
"rut roh shraggy"
Agree with all the above, someone made a goof. I think they mislabeled their sorbate.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
That's a good catch, luckily you can see a difference between the two.

Concerning a different material, I had a supplier send me .1N sodium hydroxide that was labeled .01N, which caused my free so2 testing results to be low by a factor of 10. Since you can't tell concentration by looking, I now use a standard to verify sodium hydroxide strength.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem when purchasing chem's from LHBS or online (3rd party) sellers (eBay etc.) who repackage a large quantity into smaller lots. Mistakes happen. Good catch for sure!

Siwash

Reaction score
The seller (a wine and beer making outlet in toronto) is sending me Kmeta.. he admitted to the error and apologized...

By the way, never used potassium sorbate- what can i use it for?

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you backsweeten a wine or have one that doesn't ferment to dry you will need that to keep it from potentially fermenting the extra sugars down the road.

The seller (a wine and beer making outlet in toronto) is sending me Kmeta.. he admitted to the error and apologized...

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score

If you were going to back sweeten some wine, you'd add some of the sorbate first to prevent yeast from multiplying.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are going to back sweeten, you would want the wine to go dry (its very difficult to stop an active fermentation), add Sorbate, then add sugar.