WineXpert WE Selection Estate Sonoma cab - sg=.998

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I think I know the answer but want to get an opinion on this. Most my WE kits ferment down to .990, but this SE Cab has been at .998 in the carboy and is not moving. The temp is 75. I've tasted it and it tastes finished - dry. I don't think its going lower and I think I should probably move to the next steps - adding sorbate, kmeta and the fining. I've never seen a kit yet that stops at this SG. Just seems high to me compared to what I've had in the past for my WE kits.
Any opinions out here?

My Wine Expert Luna Rosa did exactly the same. I think you are fine, not to worry about it. Just curious, which yeast does this kit use?

I've been trying to rack from primary to carboy in the 1.005 area, and I've been "splashing" at this stage to introduce some air. Seems to invigorate the yeast, since everything has been going down to 0.992 or lower since I started doing this. Not going to help you for this kit, I think you are done and it's going to turn out fine. Just my .02 for the future.

I'm pretty sure it came with Lalvin. It was not Red Star like the other cheaper WE kits I did last year.

I've heard that the Luna Rosa stops around there too so I figured maybe the big beefy reds just don't go as low.

I'm going to go onto the next step tonight and add all the other packets and degass, etc.
Thanks for the reply.

MN-winer:

how long has the sg been .998? How long ago did you start the kit?

Patience is a wne-maker's best friend. Something that many folks on the forums do not exhibit.

Steve

My Sonoma kit came with Lalvin Bourgovin RC212
Step 3 in the directions says --> stabilize when SG is .998 or less for 2 consecutive days.
Good Luck

yes - patience is important, and Im getting more as time goes on. This kit has been in secondary for 13 days now and I've had 3 days of consecutive readings of .998. Directions call for 10 days and two consecutive days of stable readings at .998 or below.

I'll rack tonight.

Latest posts

Back