WE reisling kit tips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on using this kit. I’m about to pitch the yeast, haven’t made Riesling before. Is the bentonite necessary? That’s my main concern, I’ve never liked using bentonite. Also I’m using Avanti yeast in place of the ec1118, the Avanti doesn’t leave a yeasty flavor. This is for my wife who likes an off dry fruity wine.

Which WE Riesling kit is it? I've made the California Riesling kit before, but that's a dry wine so I suspect it's one of the other ones.

Anyone have any tips on using this kit. I’m about to pitch the yeast, haven’t made Riesling before. Is the bentonite necessary? That’s my main concern, I’ve never liked using bentonite. Also I’m using Avanti yeast in place of the ec1118, the Avanti doesn’t leave a yeasty flavor. This is for my wife who likes an off dry fruity wine.
I started skipping the bentonite a couple years ago. No issues.

the bentonite help clear the wine of proteins and prevents a protein haze post fermentation. your risk to use or not. I would recommend a cold fermentation at about 60 deg ambient. increases retention of aromatics.

I also just purchased this Washington kit and would be interested in hearing from others who've had experience with it. Classic Washington Riesling Wine Kit
I've been a homebrewer (beer) since about 1992 so not new to the concept or process of brewing. However, this is my 1st time with wine (minus the mead I've made). I also purchased the WE Stags Leap Merlot, but that one is for sitting on for awhile:)
Anyway, I'm a wine noob but the brewer in me is open to any tips for making my wines. Particularly the riesling as it's 1st on deck.

Riesling is fun because you can make it sweet or dry depending on your preference. I did the Selection California a while back and did a bench trial to back sweeten with my wife as another taster. We ended up at 1% as our favorite. Per my notes I also added 1 Tbs grapefruit zest.

I agree, the California Riesling is one of our favourites. I prefer it bone dry, but it's still nice and fruity. Def recommended!

My daughter and I just finished up putting the WE Washington Riesling together. Man, I'm used to 6 hr brew days. I think it took us maybe 20 minutes tops to put the kit together! Now we wait!

A few years ago I asked WE why the bentonite is used during fermentation. I don't remember the exact wording, but the bentonite played some role in circulating the yeast, keeping it in motion and not settling to the bottom too fast. Plus the prevention of protein haze formation.

The colour does look a wee bit dark, but bear in mind it will look better when it's clear and will look a lot lighter when bottled. Enjoy. :h

Bottled the WE Riesling today. Turned out very nice, my wife likes it, so I’m happy, a bit too sweet for me tho.
View attachment 73366
I just bottled mine as well and it is really sweet. I'd say more than 'off dry' but in the ballpark of say something like Kung fu Girl. It'll go down just fine this summer and with my super spicy palet.
PXL_20210411_234255132.jpg

Mine is a lot more golden, I wonder if that’s because my kit was probably older? I buy my kits from a beer supply store I don’t think they sell many wine kits.
Hmm, hard to say with pics. Lighting, background, camera, etc. I thought my juice was very dark when I opened the box.
Anyway, I think your wine looks great! Nice and clear and your labels look really nice as well!

I purchased a new wine bottle opener last night so of course I had to try it out. I opened a bottle of our Washington riesling and I must say, it is tasty. Sweet, but good! I was skeptical at first thinking it wouldn't amount to much, but now I want to leave it alone for a bit knowing that it has already come around. Tasted delicious and was very refreshing in our 100+ heat we're having right now.

Latest posts

Back