WE reisling kit tips

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on using this kit. I’m about to pitch the yeast, haven’t made Riesling before. Is the bentonite necessary? That’s my main concern, I’ve never liked using bentonite. Also I’m using Avanti yeast in place of the ec1118, the Avanti doesn’t leave a yeasty flavor. This is for my wife who likes an off dry fruity wine.

Handy Turnip

Reaction score
Which WE Riesling kit is it? I've made the California Riesling kit before, but that's a dry wine so I suspect it's one of the other ones.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on using this kit. I’m about to pitch the yeast, haven’t made Riesling before. Is the bentonite necessary? That’s my main concern, I’ve never liked using bentonite. Also I’m using Avanti yeast in place of the ec1118, the Avanti doesn’t leave a yeasty flavor. This is for my wife who likes an off dry fruity wine.
I started skipping the bentonite a couple years ago. No issues.

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Washington state, I compromised and used half the package of bentonite. The juice smells really good, I have high hopes.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
the bentonite help clear the wine of proteins and prevents a protein haze post fermentation. your risk to use or not. I would recommend a cold fermentation at about 60 deg ambient. increases retention of aromatics.

thunderwagn

Junior
Reaction score
I also just purchased this Washington kit and would be interested in hearing from others who've had experience with it. Classic Washington Riesling Wine Kit
I've been a homebrewer (beer) since about 1992 so not new to the concept or process of brewing. However, this is my 1st time with wine (minus the mead I've made). I also purchased the WE Stags Leap Merlot, but that one is for sitting on for awhile:)
Anyway, I'm a wine noob but the brewer in me is open to any tips for making my wines. Particularly the riesling as it's 1st on deck.

Mcjeff

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Riesling is fun because you can make it sweet or dry depending on your preference. I did the Selection California a while back and did a bench trial to back sweeten with my wife as another taster. We ended up at 1% as our favorite. Per my notes I also added 1 Tbs grapefruit zest.

Handy Turnip

Reaction score
I agree, the California Riesling is one of our favourites. I prefer it bone dry, but it's still nice and fruity. Def recommended!

thunderwagn

Junior
Reaction score
My daughter and I just finished up putting the WE Washington Riesling together. Man, I'm used to 6 hr brew days. I think it took us maybe 20 minutes tops to put the kit together! Now we wait!

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked the Riesling, this is what it looks like after 24 hours, not real happy with color, it smells good haven’t tasted it.
9AA4D32B-D106-4D6B-96AC-54E4860C2D6E.jpeg

ErikM

Reaction score
A few years ago I asked WE why the bentonite is used during fermentation. I don't remember the exact wording, but the bentonite played some role in circulating the yeast, keeping it in motion and not settling to the bottom too fast. Plus the prevention of protein haze formation.

winemanden

Reaction score
The colour does look a wee bit dark, but bear in mind it will look better when it's clear and will look a lot lighter when bottled. Enjoy. :h

thunderwagn

Junior
Reaction score
Bottled the WE Riesling today. Turned out very nice, my wife likes it, so I’m happy, a bit too sweet for me tho.
View attachment 73366
I just bottled mine as well and it is really sweet. I'd say more than 'off dry' but in the ballpark of say something like Kung fu Girl. It'll go down just fine this summer and with my super spicy palet.
PXL_20210411_234255132.jpg

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is a lot more golden, I wonder if that’s because my kit was probably older? I buy my kits from a beer supply store I don’t think they sell many wine kits.

thunderwagn

Junior
Reaction score
Mine is a lot more golden, I wonder if that’s because my kit was probably older? I buy my kits from a beer supply store I don’t think they sell many wine kits.
Hmm, hard to say with pics. Lighting, background, camera, etc. I thought my juice was very dark when I opened the box.
Anyway, I think your wine looks great! Nice and clear and your labels look really nice as well!

Latest posts