WineXpert WE Chilean Merlot - at 5 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litetrek

Junior
Reaction score
I couldn't resist sampling the merlot mentioned above (WE international selection series) which has been aging now in glass for 5 months. I decided to try a sample due to concerns about inadequate sulfites. It has a distinct odor of sulfites but it is very subdued, detectable but barely. I'll probably buy an so2 measurement kit and adjust the levels accordingly. I have been able to confirm the wine hasn't oxidized which is a relief.

A few observations. ... The wine is nicely clarified and brilliant. The color is excellent. On the downside the wine seems lacking in body and taste. Swirling it in a glass produces no legs but I do get a "heavier" liquid sheet that slowly drains down after a swirl. Alcohol level is right about where it should be at 13%.

This is my first kit. I've made wine before but not from a kit. I decided to learn using walmart grape juice so I could make mistakes and not waste a lot of money if I messed up. Its a good strategy, as i didn't make any big mistakes with this kit. However I can't say I'm happy with the results so far.

Like I said, its my first kit so I have little to compare it with. When making grape juice wine my expectations were low. This $120 kit aged 5 months isn't much better than my $ 6 Walmart grape juice brew that I aged for 6 weeks.

Can I expect the body, taste and mouth feel to improve dramatically with 7 more months of aging? I've read that there is a big change around month 6, but its hard to believe an additional month will make much difference.

Last edited:
I suspect your wine will be much better at 12-15 months. I once posted about my mid-grade kits being watery and flabby. They are much better now. As for the legs be sure to look all around your glass. Sometimes the way you swirl the glass can mask a good pattern. Not to jump topic but I'm enjoying a WE Eclipse Cab and if I simply nudge the glass I get legs.

I suspect your wine will be much better at 12-15 months. I once posted about my mid-grade kits being watery and flabby. They are much better now. As for the legs be sure to look all around your glass. Sometimes the way you swirl the glass can mask a good pattern. Not to jump topic but I'm enjoying a WE Eclipse Cab and if I simply nudge the glass I get legs.

Thanks. I would describe what I've got at 5 months as watery. I guess time will tell. In the meantime I need to get the so2 levels right so I can make the long haul of bulk aging

The kit is listed as a body of 3. Don't expect more from kits without grape pack. It will evolve into an easy drinking red without great body. If you want more, I would recommend adding a finishing tannin and maybe more oak. This will get you closer to what you want. Try the stags leap merlot next. You won't regret it!

The kit is listed as a body of 3. Don't expect more from kits without grape pack. It will evolve into an easy drinking red without great body. If you want more, I would recommend adding a finishing tannin and maybe more oak. This will get you closer to what you want. Try the stags leap merlot next. You won't regret it!

Thanks, I've been considering doing both of those suggestions. I actually have been looking at tannins and looked specifically for something labeled finishing tannin and so far have found nothing. My plan for the tannin was to add it maybe a few weeks or maybe a month before bottling. I'm guessing people call it finishing tannin because you add it near the finish ... is this correct?

Do you have any specific recommendations on oak and tannin additions (type and quantity) to amp up the body?

My wife flipped her opinion on what she likes. When I started the kit a full bodied red was out of the question for her. I picked a kit that I thought she would like. About two months into the bulk aging process a friend of hers coaxed her into trying a very full bodied cab and she loved it. Now she describes medium bodied wines as tasteless. I prefer the full bodied wines also.

So, what we'll end up with seems like it will be good but if I can get some more body into it near the end we'll enjoy it more.

I think you continue to see improvement with age. The body will not change (the kit is listed as being 'medium' bodied anyway, which isn't surprising from a typical Merlot), but your perception of it may change a little. Also, the appearance of legs in a wine is not really indicative of quality.

I think you continue to see improvement with age. The body will not change (the kit is listed as being 'medium' bodied anyway, which isn't surprising from a typical Merlot), but your perception of it may change a little. Also, the appearance of legs in a wine is not really indicative of quality.

I'm not really concerned at all about the legs. I mention that because I was just surprised that they aren't really there.

I may be using the wrong term to describe what I called lack of body. What I really mean is that at 5 months it is watery and without a lot of taste. You could almost describe it as tasteless. If there is hope of it getting significantly better in that regard (more taste, less watery) I'll leave it in the carboy for a year as I had planned. If it is roughly as good as it gets, I'm going to bottle it and free up the carboy and try something else.

Do you have any specific recommendations on oak and tannin additions (type and quantity) to amp up the body?.

I have been experimenting on kits with oak cubes for 3 years using all the various types and toast levels. The oak cubes definitely add a layer of complexity to the wine. I found that the oak level and type is a personal preference, hard to give recommendation as I received very different feedback from blind tastings.

I only starting using tannins on kits for less than a year. I am set up to evaluate results on several kits, just waiting for proper aging and integration. Early results indicate tannins definitely add a layer of complexity to the wine.

My experience with kits is that you can make a decent wine that at least one of your friends and family will love! If your goal is to produce a wine that will impress the majority of them, do high end and limited edition kits with grape packs and age at least two years.

Back