Wax

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses wax to seal instead of the shrink wrap. If so, what were the results? Are there reasons the shrink is better? I like the look of the wax.

Thanks.

Shrink wraps do not seal as they have little holes in the top. Its more
of a decorative thing. Wax will not let your wine suck in air through
your corks during temp changes and barometric changes nor will it let
the corks get moldy in conditions that are damp. What are the down
sides, it will not let your wine breath and dont know exactly if thats
a good thing or a bad thing. I would imagine its good but wonder if the
wine needs a little breath to age properly.

I use wax when i want my gift bottles to look old. I let it run over the side and onto the labels. After christmas i will look for red candles on clearance. I also want to find something so i can press a letter into the wax.

scotty said:
I use wax when i want my gift bottles to look old. I let it run over the side and onto the labels. After christmas i will look for red candles on clearance. I also want to find something so i can press a letter into the wax.

You got me thinking about it and I decided to take a look. It appears as though you can get wax stamps pretty cheap ($20 - $30).

http://www.phillipsengraving.com/wax_stamps.html

DJ

dmcquade said:
scotty said:

You got me thinking about it and I decided to take a look. It appears as though you can get wax stamps pretty cheap ($20 - $30).

http://www.phillipsengraving.com/wax_stamps.html

DJ

Thats the idea but i think a 1 inch diameter is too large. Ill look for a cheap ring for about 2 dollars unless i can find a stamp that is no larger than one inch. There are stamping devices made for stamping numbers or letters into engine blocks. The term was a number job among the bike group.
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif

BTW i found a bunch of red candles at a yard sale for 25 cents. Who you calling a chissler?????
smiley36.gif

Now all i have to do is learn to wire the bottle tops.Edited by: scotty

You can buy bronze age rings on ebay for $3 to $40 depending on subject and condition/print quality. If you wish to use wax with a hand corker loosen the nuts and turn the anvil about 5-6 turns. try it until the cork seats at the same level as the inset lip bottles. lock the nuts down and the corker will work fine for bottles with and without the inset, and there is room to melt the wax with a propane torch, and press your logo with your ancient ring which if you get lucky you can also wear.

These bronze age rings were made for leaving a seal on wheat, bronze, wine etc. Nice touch if you wear the ring eh?

search in the text: Roman Bronze ring.

There was a nice rabbit one. Check with seller and make sure it is narrower than the cork size.

Mike777 said:
search in the text: Roman Bronze ring.

There was a nice rabbit one. Check with seller and make sure it is narrower than the cork size.
Thats a very interesting search.
smiley1.gif

One other option comes to mind and that would be to use art clay that fires in the oven to take a reverse impression off something small like a pressed penny. This would leave a raised design or picture of and animal or whatever in 3D in the wax and the clay could be sized to the cork. most commercial waxes if you look careful are only glued on discs of wax and not actual seals to allow for expansion and contraction.

Latest posts

Back