Watermelon wine query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, 19kgs of Watermelon, maybe too much for 23 litres !

Anyhow, has anyone any idea how much sugar already in there ?

Need to work out how much sugar to add (if any)

20210309_223338.jpg

Well, Eddy, not all musts are created equal, but when I started a batch of watermelon I mashed the pulp, put a sample in a blender then stained it through a mesh bag and checked the specific gravity of the juice. It came in at 1.031. Yours could be higher or lower. I also checked the acid levels and found the pH was quite high (5.97 according to my notes) so I added some tartaric acid (as well as sugar) to bring the numbers closer to where I wanted them.

has anyone any idea how much sugar already in there ?
Need to work out how much sugar to add (if any)
2018; 1.037 gravity. 6.60 pH
2019; 1.039grav. 6.86 pH, 0.04%TA
2020;,1.050 grav, 7.20 pH, 0.03% TA
yellow;,1.038 grav, 6.21 pH, 0.05%TA

With red ripe melon a good guess is you have ten to eleven percent sugar, and the acid is very low.

Well, Eddy, not all musts are created equal, but when I started a batch of watermelon I mashed the pulp, put a sample in a blender then stained it through a mesh bag and checked the specific gravity of the juice. It came in at 1.031. Yours could be higher or lower. I also checked the acid levels and found the pH was quite high (5.97 according to my notes) so I added some tartaric acid (as well as sugar) to bring the numbers closer to where I wanted them.

Good idea Pete, will do that, thanks

2018; 1.037 gravity. 6.60 pH
2019; 1.039grav. 6.86 pH, 0.04%TA
2020;,1.050 grav, 7.20 pH, 0.03% TA
yellow;,1.038 grav, 6.21 pH, 0.05%TA

With red ripe melon a good guess is you have ten to eleven percent sugar, and the acid is very low.

Thanks for that Rice,

I found a nutrition website that reckoned around 6% which I thought seemed low. From that I worked out I'd need about 3.5Kg to make it up to an EC Kraus watermelon wine recipe that I found

I've added 2 Kg of sugar to kick it off while I get some more ideas

Last edited:
Whatever you do move quickly - Spoilage is the most common complaint folk have when making watermelon wine. Too little acid would be a major factor in that problem as well.

Yeah , I thought so, thanks for confirming.

I added the acid in this EC Kraus Recipe straight way (plus the others) but I haven't had a chance to measure the acidity yet.

Would having 3 x the Melon Flesh mean I need 3 x the Acid Blend ?

Watermelon wine recipe.PNG

the watermelon “juice” has little TA (ability to buffer) my approach is if targeting five gallons and I increase the melon I put in 0.6% acid if targeting seven gallons I put in 0.6% acid.
If you have the pH meter or pH paper you can target the pH instead.
ut I haven't had a chance to measure the acidity yet.
Would having 3 x the Melon Flesh mean I need 3 x the Acid Blend ?
The pigment in watermelon settles making an almost clear wine. I think it is pretty with 1% or .5% raspberry juice, just enough to make it pink.

If you have the pH meter or pH paper you can target the pH instead.

I've got a ph meter, but it's still in the pack and I haven't read the instructions. Chopping all that watermelon left me way past my bedtime !

Late home tonight as well , but I'll see if I can work it out and get a reading, Cheers again

The pigment in watermelon settles making an almost clear wine. I think it is pretty with 1% or .5% raspberry juice, just enough to make it pink.

Can you taste the Rasperry flavour given the watremelon is so subtle ?

Have you ever tried using a food colouring ?

Can you taste the Rasperry flavour given the watremelon is so subtle ?
Have you ever tried using a food colouring ?
I do not taste it, ,,, and I don’t use a lot. Watermelon is volatile this year I ran it at 50F

other options, red cabbage juice (this is used in organic foods as a colorant), red grape, mulberry, black raspberry, cranberry (lots of groceries have concentrate/ adds long lasting tannic note if you use a lot, a complex longer lasting flavor if a little). Artificial, No! ,,,,but then my cabbage juice sample came from Sentient Foods.
If you do not find a color source the artificial can be added right before bottling, it is stable

Latest posts

Back