Watermelon basket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Reaction score
I carved this melon basket for my daughter she is having a retirement party for a school teacher that taught 32 years. Marigolds surround the melon .
20070512_093648_melon_basket_1.JPG

Awesome Job Harry...that took some time and patience to complete!
smiley32.gif

That looks awsome...It also looks like it took some time...It amazes me the talented people here at FVW!!!
smiley1.gif

Very nice Harry. I dont mnow if I could do that as Im no carver. That
is about the only thing I cant do with wood as Im a woodworker but that
is just another art fork in itself. Great job!
smiley32.gif

WOW!!!! LOVE IT!!! Much more elaborate than most I've seen.

Could you share how to get started doing that??? Do you draw it on the melon??? What kind of knife do you use.....

That's just super.Edited by: Northern Winos

Sorry it took me so long to answer, It took me about 1 hour to make the basket,Its really easy,I just sat it on the table and found the way it sits then i rolled it over and cut a flat place on the bottom, Then i cut the 2 side peices th make the handle, Scooped the melon out and took a pearing Knife to cut V notches on the sides and handle,Than I went out to my veggy garden and picked the Marigold flowers, Placed them around the melon. On the basket handle i took the pearing knife and made the holes to put the flower stems in. My daughter really liked it and the teachers at the retirement party were empressed .

Harry

Very nice, Harry. I would have cut myself and bled for hours (blood thinners do that).

Hi George

I know about blood thinners i am on plavix and 325 mil.Ecotrin i have 6 stents and had a tripple bypass in 1995 ,So when i do my wood working i have to be really carefull & when i pick my Blackberrys i have to wear rubber glover to keep from getting stuck from the thorns. but we gotta what we gotta do

Harry

I just have 3 stents and take plavix and aspirin. A paper cut seams to bleed for hours!

Latest posts

Back