watering systems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that using shingle roof collected water was not advised to irrigate because of the chemicals in the roofing that gets leached out.

I did some reading on this and it's a bucket of worms. A load of conflicting theories, opinions and speculation.

What I did find was one site that separated the rain water into drinking and irrigation. Not good for drinking unless treated and purified.

For gardening, it was deemed okay with asphalt roofs, if: you don't live near a manufacturing plant, mining operation, large city, etc., that would deposit soot and particulate matter on the roof. Also not good to have trees that overhang the roof.

Otherwise, it's okay to water your plants with rain water.

Another thought would be a second well if you're thinking it would run your well dry.

Depending on the formation he's drilled into, another well may not help, it will just drain the formation faster. We have 6 wells and a spare for our water company, and all but 2 are drilled into different hard-rock formations. Drilling a second well into one of those is like sticking a second straw into your milk shake. Two of you can suck it out faster, but if it's not getting replenished faster than you are sucking, you're draining the aquifer or formation.

As far as the well/drought is concerned, if you are that concerned, or have a record of running dry, I highly recommend that you start a regular routine of measuring and tracking your depth to water.

I started doing so weekly for all of our wells after one went dry. After 3 years of data, recorded along with weekly rainfall, I can see the effect that rain has on water depth, as well as how we fare during the summer when we have no rain. I can also see the effect one well in the common formation has on the other.

FWIW, I think something happened to the formation that problem well is drilled into as a result of the San Simeon Earthquake in Dec 2009.

Take your soil to the local ag extension and have them test it before you start a watering schedule. Don't know what your clay levels are in the eastern part of the state, but in Western MO we have a very high clay level in the soil. Although it holds the water pretty well, requiring less frequent watering, it still can feel very dry at the surface, and be quite wet in the root zone. It's very easy to over water on this side of the state, and most of the wineries only water about 3-4 times a year, depending on the rainfall. At lest watch the leaves very carefully, any drop of health green leaves might mean a problem with overwatering and drowning the roots.
If you are growing hybrids or labrusca it isn't as much of a problem. I have all vinifera, so it is a real problem for me.
Also..too much water will give a lower brix and incresed swelling of the fruit after veraison, with pretty bland flavor.

Just to clarify, I want to add the rain collection system not to prevent my well from going dry, but to avoid roiling up sediment in the well from running the water too long. I would use the rain barrel water as the primary as long as we get normal precipitation. If the forecast looks like no rain for a week or two, I'd save the barrel water until needed.

Obviously very weather dependent with a lot of variables.

Re my soil, it has a lot of clay and the ground is fairly moist. I always check the root level with a moisture meter probe and never water unless it's on the very dry side.

I've got 32 Marquette vines and am adding more next month: 12 Corot Noir and 10 Frontenac. If you go back in this thread, I've got some pics posted.

Bob

vinividivici said:
Just to clarify, I want to add the rain collection system not to prevent my well from going dry.....
Bob

Did you ever get that drum, I just now put one in and looking for any little pieces of first knowledge you may have acquired. I picked up a 325 gallon.

image-1390014102.jpg

image-1065825389.jpg

Nice and snug, I'll have to pump it up to a more elevated tank higher in the yard and use from that one. Still reading about small solar pumps to slowly chug away moving water any time its getting enough light, may not be cost worthy, still looking.

Irrigation System Took a Different Direction...

from a drum to this: (when it's filled with water!)

It was excavated yesterday, ~ 30' x 40'. I've got two flex drains coming off the rain gutters, going into a PVC "Y" connector and then into a 50' pipe to a small waterfall into the pond. Also had the contractor dig another trench that will connect to the french drain in the front foundation of the house. That's in the photo to the right of the buried line. Of course, my timing was terrible as we are in a drought condition. Hopefully it will be filled by summer's end.

I then plan on getting a gas-powered pump to transfer the water to the vineyard which is just to the left of the photo. Haven't decided on how I'll set up the lines. I may still, after all, put up that large plastic cistern
and transfer the pond water to that and let it gravity feed the rows.

TJ: are you filling your cistern with rain water?

Cheers,
Bob

P1030366.jpg
P1030366.jpg

My man dug a pond, thats freakin awesome, will you line it with EPDM or similar pond lining?

Yeah I'm going to connect half my down spouts to this drum and the easiest way is just install a second probably bigger drum to the other half. I like the elevated "use" drum idea.

Back