Water Quality

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically use distilled in gallon jugs. That's what the Finer Wine Kits requested in the directions.
I was surprised to see distilled water in the directions.

While there is concern regarding the lack of minerals in distilled water, water is so variable that I suspect it doesn't really matter, especially if yeast nutrients are added.

While there is concern regarding the lack of minerals in distilled water, water is so variable that I suspect it doesn't really matter, especially if yeast nutrients are added.

I've been meaning to post the same thing about the yeast nutrients.

The other thing I've done is run our unsoftened tap water through a Brita pitcher or gotten it from our refrigerator dispenser as that's filtered.

Just my opinion: I've made wine from purchased water (I believe spring water but maybe not distilled). great-tasting well water, well water treated with a water softener, and Reverse Osmosis filtered water, and concluded for me, they all make great wine. One source I read said that if it tastes good to drink then it's good for wine, and that's where I am at the moment. Other people here may have more discerning taste buds so I wouldn't doubt them if they have different experiences.

Yup. Been using them for years and their test is affordable and easy. They ship you a box with the bottle and a return label. You fill it put some electrical tape to make sure it doesn’t come undone put it back in the bubble wrap and put the label on the box and off it goes. You get the results emailed the day after they get it.

Back