• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want To Trade, Cab and Zin vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to trade some equipment/supplies for some Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel grape vines. Either cutting or root stock.
I have found a few places where I can get 2 year root stock for about $5 each plus shipping, but figured someone out there has some and needs some more equipment.:fsh

DOUG you might want to clarify a bit. When you say root stock I think you mean vines grown grafted to a rootstock and not the actual rootstock. The straight rootstock would only be useful to graft cuttings onto as they are generally unfruitful. If you buy cuttings, they would end up own rooted and it isn't adviseable to grow own rooted vinifera in most regions, especially in the midwest.

I would say you want grafted vines since you want vinifera. The varieties you want will have been grafted on special rootstock which have been bred to give the desired root system for the vine depending on soil type, etc. It can get pretty tricky. See what people have to offer.

You could get cuttings given to you, but if you root them, they may grow a few years and succumb to root phylloxera.

Back