Walkers Juice Pail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
Going to be starting a pail of blackberry juice.

My plan is to pitch 1/4tsp Kmeta and let sit for 24 hours.
Next day use Premier Cuvee yeast

I will be taking initial brix/TA/pH measurements.

Has anyone done the blackberry (or peach) juice buckets? Have you had any need for acid adjustment? If so what did you do/use?

What was your initial SG? Planning on 1.080-1.090 with adding sugar.

Just trying to get some ideas ready for when it arrives.
Thanks

Going to be starting a pail of blackberry juice.

My plan is to pitch 1/4tsp Kmeta and let sit for 24 hours.
Next day use Premier Cuvee yeast

I will be taking initial brix/TA/pH measurements.

Has anyone done the blackberry (or peach) juice buckets? Have you had any need for acid adjustment? If so what did you do/use?

What was your initial SG? Planning on 1.080-1.090 with adding sugar.

Just trying to get some ideas ready for when it arrives.
Thanks

I have made both Walker's blackberry and peach and they make some really nice wine.

Last edited:
I have made both Walker's blackberry and peach and they make some really nice wine.

Do you do anything for the high acid or just not worry about it initially and ferment out and test again post-fermentation?

I don't worry about it. Sometimes I have added acid blend and sometimes not and I can't tell the difference. My SG is usually in the 1.11 or 1.12 range for an ABV of around 15%.

What does everyone do to make sure the wine from fruit juice/concentrate has enough body?

I have heard of bananas? How do you use them...mash up a couple and add to wine with Kmeta, wait a day then pitch yeast?

Dried Malt extract?

Raisins I have heard and would probably use too, not sure about the above options.

you can slice up the banana, skins and all and add it or you can add powdered tannins. Normally, I add post fermentation.

If I use bananas it is 2, peeled and sliced, and added to secondary. Don't have a clue if it adds any body or not but it does make me feel good.

I got both my peach and blackberry juices

The peach seems fine. I added sugar to get OG to 24.1 brix, ph 3.63
and TA 6g/L

The blackberry a little different animal. I upped OG to 26 brix, but the ph was 3.38 and the TA was 15g/L!!

The container also had a higher acid number. It doesn't taste as tart as I would expect. Can this be from the test picking up a different acid?

My plan is to proceed without too much change and maybe check numbers in a few months after a couple rackings? Suggestions?

about two weeks
Thanks a ton Julie. I live in India, right from the yeast its tough getting anything to make wine here... But your posts on banana for tannin and body was such a saviour.

I made an experimental tropical with a blend of with pineapple(50%), musk melon, papaya and grape and a hard cider and used the raw banana for tannin in the primary. Was worried about leaving it for too long and filtered it out n 7 days. But the bite is there... Find that the wine is thin... So plan on making a banana wine to blend into both. Plus the freezer thaw juice method is excellent! Now all my fruits are going into the freezer by default.

Can I add a few more raw bananas to the bottle? They are at sg 1.1 and 1.2(apple) plan on adding the banana soup to the tropical and bend the Apple with the banana wine.

Was searching for your banana wine recipe... But couldn't seem to find it...

Latest posts

Back