Waldo's First Wine Tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Thursday evening was a special treat for me as I attended the "Festival of Wines" which was a fundraiser for The American Heart Assocation.It was held on the Verandaof the Axiom building in the River Market district in Little Rock.
beforethecrowd.jpg

festivalsign.jpg

I attended as a guest of my son ( The young man on the right with his good friend and fellow student, Tom) who is a student at the Arkansas Culinary School and they were one of the groups providing foods for the event.
johnandtomwithcandy.jpg

stuffedfigs.jpg

chocolates.jpg

culinaryschooltent3.jpg

truffels.jpg

culinaryschooltent2.jpg

Their offering was varied, from cheese stuffed figs to truffels. I thought it a little odd that for a wine tasting event, the cheese in their stuffed figs was the only cheese evident at the event. From the other food offerings I did make note of a couple of "Got To Try Reastaurants" in the Little Rock area who were providing food for the event.

There were over 500 varieties of wine to be tasted and I tried my best to give them all a fair evaluation.
smiley36.gif

wines4.jpg

wines.jpg

wines5.jpg

wines3.jpg

I highly refined my skills at spitting wine into a silver bucket if nothing else was accomplished. I might add that I did more spitting than I did swallowing too.
metasting2.jpg

After 3 hours of Zin's, Merlots, Cabarnets, etc. I formulated a decision to stick with my Muscadine, Blackberry, Peach, Meads, etc. I would never make, nor do I have a desire to ever be a "wine snob". That term is not meant to be derogritary either. I swear, some of those people had to be "snorting" the wine as deep as they had their noses in the wine glass. I would have to say that from the wines I did taste, I found only a couple that I felt I could really enjoy. It was a great event, complete with one the areas noted artist doing a live oil painting of Santa which was auctioned later that evening.
artist.jpg

Lots of silent auctions for dining opportunities at some of Little Rock's best, massages, beauty treatments, vacations,etc. and of course, lots ofwines.
It was quite an experience for me and provided the opportunity to meet some great people.

Very nice pictures and it looks like a very nice spread,wine and food. Was the wine from area wineries or from all over the country? It looks like a very cool experience.
smiley16.gif
smiley20.gif

That sounds like it was a good event. Looks like you found your favorite wine- your own!
smiley36.gif
Isn't that why we make it- to enjoy the fruits of our labor?

It looks like the artist did a good job on your portrait for this years Chrismas card. She did make the beard a bit longer though....
smiley4.gif

Bert said:
Very nice pictures and it looks like a very nice spread,wine and food. Was the wine from area wineries or from all over the country? It looks like a very cool experience.
smiley16.gif
smiley20.gif

They were from all over the USA Bert and it was a great experience. Picked up a little lingo on wine tasting just listening to the comments of others as they tasted.

appleman said:
That sounds like it was a good event. Looks like you found your favorite wine- your own!
smiley36.gif
Isn't that why we make it- to enjoy the fruits of our labor?

It looks like the artist did a good job on your portrait for this years Chrismas card. She did make the beard a bit longer though....
smiley4.gif

smiley36.gif
Indeed I did appleman....nothing better than a good glass of muscadine to me.
I told her not to make my beard so long but she insisted and further informed me that I needed to let mine grow accordingly.

Hey Waldo, the wines must have been pretty bad if you were spitting them out!
smiley36.gif

Looks like alot of fun. I wish they would have something like that
around my state. I have to drive around the whole state from winery to
winery which is fun but uses alot of gas. Probably do that in a few
weeks when all the foliage is at its peek here in New England. It makes
for a nice ride.

wadewade said:
Hey Waldo, the wines must have been pretty bad if you were spitting them out!
smiley36.gif
Looks like alot of fun. I wish they would have something like that around my state. I have to drive around the whole state from winery to winery which is fun but uses alot of gas. Probably do that in a few weeks when all the foliage is at its peek here in New England. It makes for a nice ride.

Actually not wade...Seemed to be protocol on ensuring that you did get knee jerking drunk before having an opportunity to have tasted a good portion of what was avaliable. If nothing else was gained, I am now a Professional Spitter
smiley36.gif

MedPretzel said:
Looks like a great time. :)

The weather looks fantastic too. :)

It was Martina..and yes the weather could not have been better. A beautiful full moon really set the tone for the event.

I really enjoyed your pictures, thank you! I had spent two weeks in Little Rock Arkansas for a convention, down by the River Front. As I drove to Little Rock I did stop and visit the vineyards along the way. Picked up a few nice wines. I would love to head that way again! I've been invited to several wine shows in this area, Nebraska, and haven't been able to attend one. I guess I need to make the point and go, looks like quite the ordeal!
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back