Wades Wine - Black Currant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jobe,
I ordered 15 plants from St. Lwrence Nursery last weekend. I'm hoping they have the varieties I picked out, but this late in the year who knows. They list Ben Sarek also- they are $47 for a pack of 5 or 11.50 each and are 1-2 ft.-only 3 feet tall at maturity-lots of bending there!
I chose a pack of 10 for $60 of Consort which is immune to White Pine Blister Rust.2-3 ft plants now, growing to 4 ft at maturity. They will bear the second year.

I also ordered a pack of 5 Titania for $47 at 1-2 ft high- grow 3-4 ft.They sound real good.
Good place to check out. I may see about going to pickmine up when they are ready. It makes a nice drive since they are about an hour and a half away.

For the past 4 years I have ordered from St. Lawrence...fruit trees [apples, crab apples, plums, pears and Bali cherries] as well as some grapes and Elderberries....I am very impressed with their plants, packaging and timely shipping for our zone...I highly recommend them.

This year I ordered my plants from Jungs, we wanted some Nero Aronia and a few other different Gooseberries and other plants St. Lawrence didn't carry...I have also been pleased with all the plants I have gotten from Jungs in the past.

We'll have to take photos of our rootstocks and compare plant sizes, etc on the Black Currants...

I know that St. Lawrence packages better...and shipping is very quick...customer relations has been great...the had sent a Honey Gold apple instead of a Honey Crisp...I called just to see if it would be hardy here...they said "yes'...I said I would try it without a replacement.... they sent another plant within the week at no charge...

I hope my plants from Jungs are good ones again this year...Time will tell....I am getting anxious.

noursefarms.com also has a good variety of black currants, red currants, gooseberries, brambles and even tissue culture some of their plants. I got some of the Titania black currants from them and these are good strong plants. This will be their third year in my Wineyard and the berries are very nice. Crackedcork

Hello Wade,
How much acid would you add for a 6 gallon batch made with Vintner Harvest?
Thanks!

Wow, you dragged this out of the past!!!!!! I followed the directions on the can with the exception of acid blend and sugar as both seemed to be way off when I mixed up the first 3 gallons. I made a 6 gallon batch but discovered in a past batch of 1 of their other bases that their numbers were pretty far of. I think I used about 2/3rds the sugar they called for and about 1/2 the acid blend. I didnt have any testing equipment back then and went by taste and sometimes I think that works better with fruit wines.

Wow, you dragged this out of the past!!!!!! I followed the directions on the can with the exception of acid blend and sugar as both seemed to be way off when I mixed up the first 3 gallons. I made a 6 gallon batch but discovered in a past batch of 1 of their other bases that their numbers were pretty far of. I think I used about 2/3rds the sugar they called for and about 1/2 the acid blend. I didnt have any testing equipment back then and went by taste and sometimes I think that works better with fruit wines.

Thanks for your thoughts and intel Wade!:h

Latest posts

Back