WineXpert VR CHAMBLAISE KIT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I may have messed up. I believe that I may have added fining agents, sorbate and sulphite for my VR Chamblaise to my VR Merlot kit. I had six batches going at the same time and was keeping them all covered with some sweatshirts that were too small for me anymore. I noticed that when I checked merlot it looked really clear before I was to add the sorbate, sulphite and finings. My Chamblaise which should have been cleared three weeks ago looked a little cloudy. Should I take a chance and add more sorbate, sulphite and Finings to the VR Chamblaise? Thanks, Lynn

Lynn - Can you post pictures of both carboys? As you've probably seen in
the past, once you add stabilizing ingredients at stirring time, the bed of
sediment builds and consolidates quite rapidly. How do the bottoms of
each carboy look?

Perhaps buying a sulfite test kit would help, you could check which kit
has more. Masta and Hal have a thread going on sufite checking. Hal
reported on a kit by Accuvin under Chemicals and Testing.

Hopefully others will jump in here. Good luck.

Bill

Lynn,

I would first check to see if your VR still has gas. A quick stir should tell you. If it does, meaning that you did not add finings, did not de-gas etc....... Were both kits ready for stabilization? If so, once you determine which one is without finings you can proceed using the other set of left over chemicals. Using the finings and such from another pack should not hurt the wine. Sorbate and SO2 concentrations should be very close assuming they are both the same type (reds) and same volume kits (23 liter).

Hal

hal

Lynn,

Any batch that has been stabilized and finedshould be topped off and the carboy will be full to the neck. A batchthat has not be stabilized and fined would be lower in volume since the carboys hold more than 23 L when topped up. Should be easy to tell just by looking at volume in carboy.

Masta, both were racked into 6-gallon carboys and look the same. I do not top up any kits except for when you remove some for the addition of an F-pack. There was little head space. Both wines were degassed too. I know that I degassed the Chamblaise before the Merlot. Bilbo both of the bottoms look the same. The merlot is a lot clearer though. I can't tell any difference in the lees. At all

Lynn,

You said the VR Chamblaise still looks cloudy...how long has it been settling after degassing?

Both wines were degassed too. I know that I degassed the
Chamblaise before the Merlot.

Guess I'm confused. If you degassed, didn't you also add the stabilization
ingredients at the same time per kit instructions for both kits? Or
do you degass per your own choice sometime before the stabilization
step?

By the way, I've taken to writing the kit name with indelible marker on the
plastic bag containing the stabilizing packages after I mixed two up.

Bilbo, I do the same with the marker. I also followed the instructions. But, I am not perferct and I am pretty sure I made a mistake and put the sorbate, sulphite and finings in the Merlot when I was supposed to be adding to the Chamblaise. After working 12 hour graveyards and going on 8-10 hours of sleep for 96 hours things get a little foggy. Like I had said earlier I had six batches going at once and those two were in the middle. As for degassing I use a Fizz-x 2-2 1/2 minutes per timer, then add sorbate and sulphite. Use the Fizz-x 2 - 2 1/2 minutes (depending on the amount of CO2 release). Add fining agent then stir again for 2-2 1/2 minutes per timer. The carboys were also covered with the sweatshirts and all I did was pop the bung and airlock out.

Masta, its been almost 30 days since degassing. I guess I could filter with the mini-jet but I try not too if not necessaryand then If I hadn't put the sorbate and sulphite in I would need too anyway. Also, I do have the gram scales and I could weigh those (sorbate and sulphite) in again and use Super Kleer Kc for the fining and let sit another 14 days,

If it has been 30 days since degassing the Chamblaise should be very clear if you did add the k-meta, sorbate and fining.

Sounds like you are pretty sure you didn't add it and it went into the Merlot. I would agree with your plan to measure out K-meta (4 grams) and Sorbate (5.5 grams) and add Super Kleer to clear.

The added K-meta in the Merlot would be my only concern, so when you rack for bottling give it a taste. A good hard stirring after racking and before bottling might help displace some of the extra K-meta before it goes into the bottle.

Lynn - It's a confusing story, and I'm sure you are feeling that way more
than I am. Good luck, hope you sort it out.

Latest posts

Back