Volumetric Increase During Settling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

Reaction score
The image below was taken about 4 hours after I had placed a piece of painter's tape on the 1 gal carboy to mark the level (meniscus), about 1 hour after racking from primary (and after adding Bentonite).

How can we account for the apparent increase in volume?

Initially there were no bubbles. Now look. Is this normal?

About the wine: Blackberry from frozen berries. Starting SG=1.091, Final=0.993.
IMG_1480.JPG

vol change is perfectly normal though i can’t speak on the bubbles. maybe someone else will. if it’s fresh from fermentation i wouldn’t worry

I had topped up all my carboys just about to the bottom of each bung. then i noticed how much they dropped a couple days later. you can see by the wine around the bungs that it actually rose up before dropping too. i’m gonna have to top again likely.

shifts in temperature will change the wines level a bit. so will the sediment falling out. and i assume the density of the sediment can also lead to more fluctuations as temp changes. it’s a hassle. but just one of them things ya gotta deal with 32E15683-5EA5-437A-A262-0B59CA98933B.jpeg2D2B2AF7-131D-4142-8A0F-DE9E48FB3C52.jpeg

vol change is perfectly normal though i can’t speak on the bubbles. maybe someone else will. if it’s fresh from fermentation i wouldn’t worry...shifts in temperature will change the wines level a bit. so will the sediment falling out. and i assume the density of the sediment can also lead to more fluctuations as temp changes. it’s a hassle. but just one of them things ya gotta deal with

Thank-you so much!
This picture was taken just before I put the tape on, about 1 hour after racking from primary. Sediment is dropping out VERY quickly. I love Bentonite.

IMG_1477.JPG

Latest posts

Back