Volume mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I made a frozen mixed berry wine (Black, Blue and Raspberry) I have calculated the water wrong. The recipe is per gallon, I wanted 6 so I multiplied everything correctly into 6 gallons of water and now I have over 8 gal or 31L in my primary. The fruit is still thawing and whole I have a 10gal primary so according to the recipe (7 pints of water each) I think I need to add 3/4 measures of additives to break even. My Lalvin 1118 yeast pkg is for up to 23L, do I need to add more yeast or will it reproduce enough to make up the difference? SG 1.092.

I made a frozen mixed berry wine (Black, Blue and Raspberry) I have calculated the water wrong. The recipe is per gallon, I wanted 6 so I multiplied everything correctly into 6 gallons of water and now I have over 8 gal or 31L in my primary. The fruit is still thawing and whole I have a 10gal primary so according to the recipe (7 pints of water each) I think I need to add 3/4 measures of additives to break even. My Lalvin 1118 yeast pkg is for up to 23L, do I need to add more yeast or will it reproduce enough to make up the difference? SG 1.092.

I'm not sure from your post if you've added more fruit to compensate for the increased water. Since your SG is 1.092, you've got that in the right range. If you don't have access to any more yeast, I'm sure the EC 1118 will be up to the task.

Did your recipe call for any nutrients? If so, make sure you increase the dosage proportionally when you add it.

Yes I multiplied all additives by 3/4 gal recipe. By x6 of the recipe I should have had 5 1/4 gal and I started with 6. If my math is correct it should be right adding 3/4 of the recipe. I have another package of 1118 but do I add the whole pac or 3/4? Will the yeast keep going as long as the sugar is there? I don't want this wine to taste yeasty, y'know...

The yeast pack is good for 1-6 gallons. If you pitch 2, then that is 2-12 gallons.

You could use 1 pack and make a yeast starter. That would boost the cell count prior to pitching.

You could also just use 1 pack. For 8 gallons, it should be ok.

Yes I multiplied all additives by 3/4 gal recipe. By x6 of the recipe I should have had 5 1/4 gal and I started with 6. If my math is correct it should be right adding 3/4 of the recipe. I have another package of 1118 but do I add the whole pac or 3/4? Will the yeast keep going as long as the sugar is there? I don't want this wine to taste yeasty, y'know...

As a general rule, your wines will taste yeasty as they ferment. When you let them sit afterward the yeasty taste falls out and you get rid of the yeasts when you rack. This is why you rack off the gross lees. If you leave them in there they can start giving your wine tastes that you do not want in there. Good luck with your wines. Arne.

Back