Virginia wineries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Outer Banks this weekend. We are staying in Charlottesville, VA area on return trip. I have checked the local wineries on the web. Any wineries in that area you would recommend visiting?

Virginia has a hard cider trail which is good. The east coast has traditional cider apples in quantity so that one can find single varieties. Albemarle is close to Charlottesville, Blue Bee Cider is in Richmond. ,,, Mataponi off I95 did nice fruit wines.

@mainshipfred has built several wineries /event spaces which are closer to DC. Fred, do you have opinions?

As someone who lives 30 minutes from Charlottesville, I've been to most of them! Not sure about how far you want to explore away from Charlottesville, but I can recommend the following: Veritas, which is beautiful and their Star white is my favorite there, but this is a little drive from the city; Jefferson is pretty good and just outside the city - I love their Petite Verdot; King Family Vineyards which is not too far outside the city and is a beautiful drive has great wines, and the winery also has a polo field and features polo matches some weekends. On the way to C'vile you will be on I64 if you go the fastest route, and there are two stops you should consider, both are in Louisa County. One is off of the Gum Spring exit, Grayhaven Winery. The owner is South African, and not only offers his own wines, but a variety of South African wines. Tell Dion that the lady who makes rose petal wine and mooched some bottles from him a few weeks ago to bottle it says Hi. He may join you at your table to enjoy your company, and loves to talk wine. He's also quite the character. Love him. The second is off of the Shannon Hill exit, and the winery is called 53rd. All locally produced, and some really great wine. They even make a Concord wine which I've emulated with my own attempts. "This tastes like grape juice, but it's So Good!" Their sweet white is in my opinion outstanding. The reds are excellent too. Both of the last two wineries are about midway between Richmond and Charlottesville.

If you do visit any of these, do let me know what you think! Wishing you a lovely visit to Virginia.

Thank you both of you for the information. Clover, that's a nice list of wineries. I have seen a some of those in my search. I will have plenty of time while hanging at the beach make a plan. Unfortunately we only have one day, looking forward to ending our trip with a winery excursion. thanks again

Horton is one of the older wineries in Virginia. Dennis Horton who recently passed away is credited with bringing some of the better grown varietal to the area. I've never been there but their wines are sold locally and very good. Barboursville is another highly rated winery and near Horton. If it interests you Blenheim Vineyards is owned by Dave Mathews and depending on your political asperations Trump winery is also there.

Remember though Virginia has 2 noted wine regions. Charlottesville in the central part of the state and Northern VA a few hours north. No matter where you go I would recommend Viognier, Petit Manseng, Petit Verdot, Cab Franc and Tannat. Then there is the love it or leave it Norton.

Thanks Fred.
This trip we have to stay close to Charlottesville. Definitely interested trying some of those varieties. I had checked the Blenheim winery, but I didn't realize it was owned by Dave Mathews. It looks like this will require another trip to the area when we have more time. :D

Last edited:
We just did a quick hit winery and drive tour from Kent, OH over the Memorial Day weekend. We drove down to Charlottesville and hit:
1) Barboursville Vineyards - Great experience, great wine. The reds shocked me in the complexity and taste...The Nebbiolo blew me away... The Cab Franc was also a surprise, from the vineyard of course. We met the winemaker, Luca Paschina, who even gave us a sample of their Flagship wine from the barrel. Nice guy.
2) We also hit The Barn at 678 Winery right across the street. Also a good winery, with a nice Reserve Red with Petit Verdot, Cabernet, Tannat, and Cab Franc.
3) The last one in the area we hit up was Chiswell Farm and Winery, right off 64 to the west of Charlottesville maybe 12 minutes.

The Monticello AVA is definitely putting out some good wines. Oh, and most wineries close at 5 or 6 pm. That was a surprise to us.

Hit up downtown Charlottesville market district for the evening. Think a couple of blocks of pedestrian walking area *street closed off* with restaurants and shops to walk around. That was nice.

Lastly, I'll suggest you download the VA Wine app. This was a great find and maps out all the wineries around you in VA. We used it often and was a help the next day touring some wineries around Front Royal.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Glasshouse Winery, with their own unique, award winning wines. Or Septenary Winery, also known for their award-winning wines.
But if you really want to locate fine wines, you need to cross the Blue Ridge into the Shenandoah Valley. That's where you'll find the variety and flavor you seek. It will take you more than a day.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Glasshouse Winery, with their own unique, award winning wines. Or Septenary Winery, also known for their award-winning wines.
But if you really want to locate fine wines, you need to cross the Blue Ridge into the Shenandoah Valley. That's where you'll find the variety and flavor you seek. It will take you more than a day.
Glasshouse is a good hike from C'ville, and in a spot where there is virtually no cell reception, but worth the visit if there's time or if it can be included in the return trip home. I'm personally not a huge fan of their wines, but the winery itself is very pretty.

Virginia wine update
we visited Barren Ridge winery outside of Staunton on the trip to the Outer Banks, nice rendition of Trimanette. The red selections were decent but mostly lighter in body. Great views off the patio.

On return trip

Jefferson Vineyards. We enjoyed the Petite Verdot, double oak Viognier was interesting and refreshing. The Meritage was our favorite.

Blenheim Vineyards
Beautiful winery, Sunday afternoon music. We enjoyed their Painted White and the Alberino. We also enjoyed a bottle of the Painted Red which was our favorite Red.

Thanks to everyone that shared your thoughts and opinions. It made for nice ending to our trip.

Latest posts

Back