WineXpert Vintner's Reserve Pinot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc605

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Vintner's Reserve Pinot Noir? Any tasting notes?

Sorry I have not tried that one. The aroma of Black Currants makes me want to try it soon though.

That was the firstbatch we did back in late january(it was the kit I ordered with the Beginners Starters Package from George @ Fine Vine Wines). It's been in the bottle 2 months and your post gave me an excuse to open a bottle. Obviously at 2 months, it was still VERY young, but none of it went down the drain.
Asmostforum members will tell you, the Vintners Reserves reds are a little thin and I absolutely agree. Because of its age, mine still had a little of the stale grape juice smell, however you could definately smell more enjoyable fruit overtones coming through. Same for the taste - first sip was a little alarming, however after letting it breathe for 30 minutes, both the taste and nose greatly improved. The finish was light, not too dry, fairly short andagain a little watery.

I do think that once it has 6-8 months in the bottle, the nose and taste will even out, but I'm pretty sure it will always be thin. I think it will make a great table wine or to use for topping off future red batches.

If this is your first kit, I would highly recommend the Vinters Reserve. It provides you with an opportunity to go through the steps and better understand the process of making your own wine. After the first one is in the bottle and you've gained some experience, you may want to try stepping up to a Selection Estates or Selection Original. They have almost 2x the amount of juice as the Vintners Reserve, so I'm told they don't taste as thin. Shortly after we bottled the Vinters Reserve, we kicked off a Selection Estate Pinot Noir from Yamhill County, which is still bulk aging. I did accidently
smiley2.gif
spill a little in a glass while rackingand it definately has a lot of potential.

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the moderators and "regulars" will help you through any challenges or questions you may have.

GrapeApe.

gc605 said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Vintner's Reserve Pinot Noir? Any tasting notes?
It makes a nice table wine during the middle of the week. Sort of thin, but not bad. I don't turn my nose up at it, that's for sure. Goes well with just about anything on the table during the week. Hamburger casserole, mac & cheese, left overs, eggs & bacon, carry out. Improves any meal. Bert adds, "It matures quickly." Cheers!

Latest posts

Back