WineXpert Get a Reserve taste via a WineXpert Classic kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin64`

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Has anyone had a good experience reducing WineXpert Classic Must volume to get a WineXpert Reserve taste? If so how much do you reduce the Must volume to ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reducing kit volume increases the acid level, which can take the wines out of balance. Trying to make a low end kit into a higher end kit is on the order of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

That said, the Tweaking Cheap Kits thread has a lot of good ideas for improving cheap kits.

Reducing kit volume increases the acid level, which can take the wines out of balance. Trying to make a low end kit into a higher end kit is on the order of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

That said, the Tweaking Cheap Kits thread has a lot of good ideas for improving cheap kits.
All good Winemaker81, and thanks for your advice, I will rummage around in Josewines thread tweeking cheap kits, thanks.

I realize these posts are a few months old now but all of the sudden I want to add something from my taste results within the past two weeks. 🤓 My Reserve Calif Enigma and Reserve Chilean Carmenere are only five (5) months old but while adding Kmeta I took about half a glass from each before adding Kmeta and topping off for another 3-4 months of bulk aging.

Both wines were really nice and just in my limited experience the Reserves vs Classic kits are much different. Not sure the Reserve is worth the extra $32-35 for some people but for me I'm going to stick with the higher price Reserves when I make a WE kit. My first WE Reserve kits so I stuck with the instructions to the letter. My guess is they could be bottled now but will be even better after 9-12 months.

Latest posts

Back