Vintners Reilsing wine STILL not clearing after super finnings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysfoot

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to bottle my first batch of Vintners reserve Reilsling wine and i have had lots of bad luck in trying to get my winr to clear, i have degassed on about 6 occasions now and i have followed the instructions perfectly

I went to local wine making shop and she said to use this finning agent, it was a two sachet finning agent called super finnings

she said to add the fist sachet, stir and wait for 3 hours then add the second sachet then stir lightly for 15 seconds

I did this and after 24 hours i thought it might have been clear but it wasn't so i degassed today for another 3 minutes

Do you think i should just wait now for a few days
Ive been making this wine now for 4 long months now and im dying to drink it

How long has it been aging? Usually time cures all ailments ;) i think you need to give a LOT more time. I'd bet if you wait a couple weeks you'll see a big improvement. As Ibgloin always says.....Patience, Patience Patience :r

Sounds like you've done a lot of degassing. What temperature was the wine at when you degassed? Cool wine does not like to release the CO2.

It's Friday now, so you may not get an answer till Monday, but I would suggest eMailing Winexpert's help desk. (You probably don't want to phone from the UK.)

Make sure that you include as much info as possible, including the exact kit, and the batch code from the sticker.

They know their kits best and may have a useful suggestion.

Steve

Hi, my wine is ready for bottling today, so i decided just to stir it for 5 seconds and let it settle and now its gone back to being cloudy again, i have waited 30 mins and it is still cloudy, how much longer shall i wait for it to settle.....finally, hehe

Hi, my wine is ready for bottling today, so i decided just to stir it for 5 seconds and let it settle and now its gone back to being cloudy again, i have waited 30 mins and it is still cloudy, how much longer shall i wait for it to settle.....finally, hehe

why did you stir it if it's ready to be bottled???...have you racked it off the sediment???....just stirring a wine, if it is at the stage of being ready to bottle, you should have removed all the sediment prior to...if you have it still sitting on sediment and you go to stir it, then of course it's going to cloud up because you disturbed the sediment....

there is always going to be some sort of seddiment at the bottom isnt there. ive had problems with this batch the the clearing and ive applied a finning agent 2 weeks ago and let it settle untill today, do you think the cloudyness will drop out within a few hours

there is always going to be some sort of seddiment at the bottom isnt there. ive had problems with this batch the the clearing and ive applied a finning agent 2 weeks ago and let it settle untill today, do you think the cloudyness will drop out within a few hours

if you have sediment on the bottom of the carboy, you don't want to stir it again if you are getting ready to bottle it....if anything, you want to rack it off the sediment before bottling...was it completely clear after adding the clearing agent and BEFORE you stirred it again???...

yes it was, i dont know why i stirred it, i just thought i would stir it lightly then wait to settle for 10 mins before bottling as this is the first time i have seen it clear
will i have to wait long do you think, i hope i havent spoilt it

yes it was, i dont know why i stirred it, i just thought i would stir it lightly then wait to settle for 10 mins before bottling as this is the first time i have seen it clear
will i have to wait long do you think, i hope i havent spoilt it
no....it won't be spoiled, but now you might have to wait another day or 2 for the sediment to settle back out again....then carefully rack your wine off of the sediment into a clean sanitized carboy, or bottling bucket if that is what you plan on using, and then bottle from there....but at this stage of wine making, my friend, there is no need to stir, and unless you are trying to utilize a technique called battonage, there is no need to stir while there is sediment, or lees, present on the bottom of the carboy....

hey, tyfoot....it just dawned on me...i think i figured out why you stirred when you had sediment still in the bottom of your carboy....is this your first kit???....i think so, and you are right about one thing....most kits when you go to add the clearing agents THEY provide, they want you to stir the sediment back in when you add them...but that is the only time....once the sediment drops out, you are supposed to rack off the sediment....i think that's what tripped you up....

Yes, once it clears again, you should be able to rack the clear wine off the sediment in the bottom. You will loose some of the wine in the bottom, but that is to be expected.

Save the little bit of wine in the bottom, sediment and all, in a small sealed jar. Let it set until it clears again for two or three days. Carefully siphon off the clear portion with a turkey baster and save/drink the clear wine. Throw the remaining sediment away. Using this method, you can recoup a half bottle or more of wine from each racking.

Patience is a virtue man, I would wait it out until its perfectly clear with no sediment on the bottom, rack it 1 more time, wait for a week and if no sediment, bottle it up. This is not a rabbit race, slow and steady wins the day

Back