Vintner's Harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I have been reading up on some peoples experiences with these concentrates and am thinking of giving one a try. I read somewhere that 2 cans would be better for a 6 gallon batch so right now that is my plan. Just a couple of questions.
-Do I just open the cans and dump them in the bottom of my primary? That would be similar to how I did my peach wine this fall. Mash them up a little.
-When racking to secondary, should I siphon what juice I can first then strain and squeeze what juice I can from the pulp or just rack what I can and leave the pulp behind? (Sorry if this one seems like a stupid question.)

I am thinking of starting with the Blackberry. I don't have a way to check acid levels yet. Is this something that should be done or would I be OK not checking?

Any other thoughts or tips on these concentrates are appreciated. Hoping to get out and grab a couple of cans over Thanksgiving Weekend.

2 cans per 6 gallonjs is the best and the recipe is right on the can as far as how much acid blend is needed. Use your hydrom as far as adding sugar as Ive had troubles with that and sometimes find their sugar addition would put it much higher then the 1.090 that I like to make all my fruit wines to. Yes rack off and squeeze to get any extra wine you can. I like to use a fermenting bag myslf but one thats big enough to be able to move the fruit around in. I buy the fermenting bags and use them for years myself and actually just threw 2 away about a month ago that ive had for about 6 years as I felt it was time to replac them plus it was elderberries in the bags and those things just make a big green gooey mess that usually can only be cleaned off with some kind of oil like olive oil.

Back