Other Vintners Coastal Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina_Vino

Junior
Reaction score
When I was transferring from the fermenter to the carboy, the instructions said to leave about a liter of space. I kept the extra liter in a glass bottle with one of those reusable corks that allow you to suck air out of a bottle with a hand pump. I don't know if I'm right but I figure it would act like an air lock. Anyway, since the small bottle was the last to transfer, it seems to have a good inch of sediment. Should I put that sediment back in when I'm degassing and clarifying?

A solid plan to keep the extra reserve Gina. If it were me, I would complete step 3; degas, stabilize and clarify. After you've added the clarifying agent then I would carefully pour your reserve in to top up and try to keep as much sediment as you can out of the carboy from your liter container. I'd have a low threshold to keep the reserve in the fridge until you need it.

BC

If this is your first racking the yeast are still doing their thing so the topper won't keep suction as co2 is still being produced. Rack off of those lees and Put a stopper and airlock on it and let it brew.

When you degas and clear yes you can add it back to your main batch.

By the way that was my first kit and we are happy with it. Have 8 bottles set aside to age.

The 2nd step said to leave the thickest sediment behind so I'll take your advice and use the reserve it to top off but be careful not to disturb the sediment. I replaced the vacuum cork on the 1 liter with an airlock and taped it up with electrical tape. The carboy hasn't had a bubble in days. I transferred back on November 16 and according to the instructions, I can stabilize and clear on Tuesday the 26th if my SG is .996. I checked it tonight and it is already there but ill wait

Latest posts

Back