Vintage 2013 progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaniel

Reaction score
How about a thread to post about what you are making from this year's grapes and follow your progress?

8/24 and 8/25, I harvested my Marachel Foch (21 Brix) and Oberlin Noir (20 Brix), respectively. I soaked the Foch on the skins for 24 hours, then pressed it for a volume of 5+ gallons of mostly juice. Brought it to 1.100 SG, pitched Lalvin RC212 yeast and fermented at room temp. Down to 1.030 tonight, I will rack to glass tomorrow.

Oberlin is a day behind, pitched same RC212 yeast after bringing to 1.100 SG.

Last year I combined both varieties, and got 3 gallons total. So >300% increase since last year, due to combination of no drought and vines maturing. This was from 17 Foch (lost 3 to drought of the 20 I had) and 13 Oberlin Noir (5 not yet cropping due to 3 consecutive drought years slowing establishment).

A few weeks ago I bought an old fridge off Craigslist to try to use to control temp. Well, like my kegerator it will work well for fermenting whites and cold stabilization but it will not hold 70 degrees for red fermentation. I will have to work on a different temp control for it next year.

I still have Cayuga White left to harvest. Last Thursday it was 12 Brix. I'll check it again in a couple days; with this heat I will probably pull it Labor Day as I'm not sure when else I will have time.

This is a wine I am making from grapes I get from my next door neighbor her husband (Jerry) died 2 years ago and she doesn't do anything with the grapes or know what kind they are, they are a white grape with seeds so I assume some kind of wine grape.
It's only 1 vine and ended up with 72 lbs. of de·stemmed grapes, got them crushed in a press that I had just got finished building and ended up with almost 5 gallons of pure juice. So far so good its in a carboy and clearing already...

Wine Log # 20
Wine Type Jerry’s Select
Fruit 72 lbs. White Grapes 1gl. White Grape Juice
Start Date 8-11-13
Gallons 6
Sugar 5 cups + 6 cans Frozen White Grape Concentrate
Yeast Energizer 3 tsp.
Yeast Nutrient 3 tsp.
Pectic Enzyme 2 ½ tsp.
Acid Blend
Tannin
Campden Tablets ¼ tsp.K-Meta