Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom,

I have to confess to a slight case of plagiarism on that signature line. I used to have a tee shirt (and I mean a long time ago) that said, "Budweiser...it's not just for breakfast anymore."

When I say, wine making is really a science, I mean that everything that takes place is the result of a chemical reaction, which also involves physics, math and biology. There arefew that understand most of this and many who understand littleofit. Most of us are impiricists, notscientists.

"Winemaking as art" vs. "winemaking as science"is over-thinking it to me.
smiley2.gif

I make the stuff because it is cheaper than buying it and I can be fairly confident of the expected result, plus it's fun to do and fun to taste the fruit of your efforts!

Thanks, Bart. The reason I am giving this a try is for the fun of it (first) and the low cost wine. If it turns out that I can become confident of the expected results, then great! That'll keep me at it.
smiley4.gif

BartReeder said:
"Winemaking as art" vs. "winemaking as science"is over-thinking it to me.
smiley2.gif

smiley20.gif
So very true and yes you really need to work pretty hard to mess up a kit - pending on the clarity of the directions.

Well, I racked my Pinot Noir out of the BB and into my new glass carboy tonight. (My original carboy is busy serving as secondary for my second batch.) I was really surprised and delighted at how clear it was already! I hit it again with the mix stir and then with the vacuvin. There was really nothing by way of CO2 coming out. I had a taste -- no fiz. Although I have to say that there was the distinct flavor of Pinot Noir in there! There were a few very tiny bubbles that came to the surface after I quit messing with it and put the bung/air lock in.

I'm going to set it aside to bulk age until November when my daughter gets home from school so she can help me with the bottling.

My second batch is a WE Original Selection Viognier. It will be ready for stabilizing and degassing a week from Saturday. I'm curious to see how that goes.

Hey Tom,
When you degassed, was the temperature above about 72F? That's where it needs to be to degas well.

Some kits don't have a lot of CO2 in them, Tom. You did your entire fermentation at a room temp of 75' or so and racked 3 times per the instructions, so it isn't too surprising that your wine is degassed. The taste test is the final indicator.

You are planning to bulk age for 4 months now, so I wonder if it would be a good idea to add a little more KMeta either now or on bottling day. I have been testing my wines and adjusting the sulfite level based on those results, so I'm not sure if an extra dosing would be advisable for you. Maybe some knowledgeable forum member will chime in?

Thanks, Jim. I put a reminder in my calendar to stir in another 1/4 tsp of K-Meta at the three month mark. Is that the way it's done?

Sorry for the delay in responding, busy weekend. I would use your wine thief or siphon to get a cup or so of wine out and add the SO2 to that. Stir to dissolve, dump into the bottling bucket and siphon the rest of the wine to the bucket. Alternatively, you can just dump the KM into the bottling bucket before you transfer the wine in. I've done it both ways.

Lately I've been using a 10% KM solution and adding a measured amount to raise the free SO2 level.

Thanks, Jim. Since I'm planning to bulk age until the first of December, do I wait to add extra K-meta until just before bottling? That's how I'm reading your suggestion.

It has only been 13 days since you added the kit supplied Kmeta, Tom.
You should be safe to leave the wine until 12/1, add the 1/4 tsp KM then
and bottle. The KM supplied with the kit is designed to protect against
the oxygen exposure from degassing and probably one more racking in
addition to racking to the bottling bucket. It doesn't sound like you
have any more exposure than that, so you should be fine for now.

TomK-B said:
Thanks for the info! Very encouraging.

I was planning to bulk age this batch, so that sounds like a good plan for dealing with any potential de-gassing issue I may be having. I also went out yesterday and purchased a Wine Expert kit called "Viognier." My thought was that a bottle of red and a bottle of white would make a good Christmas present to friends and family (provided, of course, they turn out well).

I also like the suggestion of picking up an extra carboy and a big red wine. Hmmmmm any suggestions as to what I might consider? Also, any thoughts about glass carboy vs. Better Bottle?

I made the Viognier a couple years ago. Came out fine. Its not awesome, but very drinkable as more of a house wine. Thinking of making it again. Still have about 1/2 dozen bottles left

I've decided to revive this thread to ask a question of the forum. As you can see from my initial post, I began this kit in June of 2011. It was my very first kit. And I did follow through with my plan of giving it away as Christmas gifts. No one complained.

However, I did keep one bottle and squirreled it away in the back of the closet. I'm thinking of opening it to see how it has fared after two years. On the other hand, I've kept it this long, I could easily keep it longer. So, do you think this kit could possibly continue to improve with age?

I've decided to revive this thread to ask a question of the forum. As you can see from my initial post, I began this kit in June of 2011. It was my very first kit. And I did follow through with my plan of giving it away as Christmas gifts. No one complained.

However, I did keep one bottle and squirreled it away in the back of the closet. I'm thinking of opening it to see how it has fared after two years. On the other hand, I've kept it this long, I could easily keep it longer. So, do you think this kit could possibly continue to improve with age?

While I haven't made this kit, I have made other VN kits. At 2 years, I am certain you have reached the best it can be. Bottoms up and enjoy. Let us know what you think.

I agree - drink it and enjoy. The VN kits are great early drinkers, and I have noticed a marked improvement over a 1-1.5 year timeframe. But not much better beyond that, and that improvement is not guaranteed from one kit to another.

I would throw in that if you do some tweaking to it, like add extra oak or raisins, you are more likely to see continued development over a 6-month to 1-year timeframe (compared to simply making the kit per the instructions).

OK, I took your advice, Roger and Bart. I opened it up and enjoyed. Actually, I decanted it for a couple of hours before I drank it so as to give it the best chance of shining. And while it still didn't have a lot of body, even for a Pinot, I have to say that it tasted pretty darn good. Strawberry, cherry and a little bit oaky on the nose. Smooth, with noticeable, but soft tannins on the pallet. I made it strictly according to the instructions, without any tweaks. Even so, for my very first wine kit ever, after two years of aging I'm very happy with the results. I have definitely made some better wines over the past two years, but it is really good to have a mark of comparison.

Latest posts

Back